Wallae's Boyu TL 550

Use these as a Guide....think I gave you these Links in you'r other Thread...
Water Parameters..
Below are recommended water parameters that can be used as a guideline for general marine tanks.

pH - 8.2 to 8.4
Salinity - 1.023 to 1.026 (or 30.5 to 34.5 Specific Gravity (SG))

Calcium - 380-420
Alkalinity - 6 to 9 dKh (ideally 6.5 to 8.5 dKH) NSW levels
Magnesium - 1300 to 1350
Iodine - 0.04 to 0.06
Strontium - 8ppm or 8mg/l (NSW levels)
Potassium (K+) - 380-420
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - less than 5
Phosphate - less than 0.01
Ammonia - 0
Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I use the Seachem Range(Aquavitro)...there are many Brands out there...for me, they are fantastic...
aquavitro . Reef Products

aquavitro . calcification
aquavitro . eight.four
aquavitro . ions

I use Brightwell NEO-Marine Salt..VERY pricey...but thankfully on my BOYU TL-450 I don't "feel it" as I would, had I had a LARGE Tank...;)
Brightwell Aquatics - NeoMarine

For my Test Kits I use Salifert...very accurate and suprisingly well priced...
1301692233-30391900.jpg

Salifert Aquarium Test Kits - English

Last edited:
The thing is some of the cheaper salt brands don't have as much calcium in them and it gets used up by various thing in the tank over time, so when you do water changes it replenishes it.
If you do water changes with a good salt brand and you don't have any sps coral it should keep your calcium high enough. Usually when they say add to top off water they mean a bucket that gets used to top the tank off over a period of a week so you shouldn't dose it quickly. I actually would just leave it for now and not dose at all. Although it should be absorbed within 24 hours.
You can try adding two small computer fans to the tank one blowing in and one blowing out, I had the same problem with temperature and since I did that my temperature hasn't gone over 27.

Quick update, managed to get my Ca and Mg levels to acceptable levels.
Started to slowly stocking the tank with a crab and boxer shrimp. The boxer shrimp was all over the LR until today when I Added 2 cleaner shrimps.

Was told they should be fine in the same tank but right now the boxer shrimp is off the LR and standing in one corner.....looking forward to having some fish in a month....

Its always nice to see something moving around in the tank.:)

@Mc, thanks for the fan advice... My apartment is quite warm and it is affecting the tank. Got guys in over the weekend to install AC and it's cooler and now turned up the tank heater to 26 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the samething a while back looked at the price of a chiller vs an aircon and decide for the same price me and the fish could be comfortable. I still needed the fans to circulate the air through the tank.

Cool.... Enjoy the plant life coming out of the LR too... Will post pics soon....I'm thinking of starting with a 2 clown fish, damsel (non aggressive one) and maybe a Tang. Any recommendations? Something colourful

I wouldn't put a tang in tank like this its a bit too small and besides the fish being stressed and getting stress related sickness, it will look out of place.
The clown are nice fish, there are a lot of interesting gobies.
You can try a damsel but I'm not sure if it will fight with the clown and you need to make sure you get one thats not too aggresive as they can be really fiesty. My first fish was a azure damsel like the one in my profile pic, awesome little fish, a lot more interesting than the clown IMO.
Dwarf angels are nice but tend to nip at corals.
You can also look at dartfish and blennies.
There are so many just make sure you research their maximum size.

See you got a bit of life in there.
Is that a porcelain crab between the rocks?

yeah it is. slowly starting.... need to spend more time on it soon
got 2 cleaner shrimps, 1, boxer shrimp, 2 clown fish, a chromis and a damsel.

Hi Wallae,

Nice going there. I like your selection of fish!:)

I am just slightly confused. Did you dose the tank to speed up the cycling process?
.looking forward to having some fish in a month....

With your post a week ago, you were still looking forward to add some LS and now they are in already?

If you did not dose the tank, you might run into some issues a bit later on, with the tank not being mature enough to handle the bioload. :whistling:

I didn't dose. Only had fish last week.
Bought a rectangular prism shaped tank about 3 months ago and set it up with LR.
The tank became a health hazard as my daughter was caught by a corner... 6 stitches later I decided to get something without corners..that's when I joined MSA. Struggled to find one and then got the Boyu 5 weeks ago... Transferred the water to the New Tank... Waited till last week just to make sure it was safe to proceed....

Ahhhh. Ok... Makes sense now.:)

Hope your daughter recovered without too much scarring, and that her inquisitiveness was not curbed by that incident!

Back
Top Bottom