Waiting Period?

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by chikaboo, 18 May 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi Anemone - let me be the first to wack you with a question that gives all of us hell!
    The general advice I noticed from everyone is wait about 9-12 months before introducing a nennie into our systems - would you like to enlighten us on this - surely theres no set time but could be ideal conditions warrant putting a nennie in - Also some of us (like me) have clowns that would love a nennie to host in but too scared because of "not time yet" What in your opinion and experience would be appropiate time constraints for these amazing creatures - Thanx in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

watching this thread very closely

4. Tony

Tony

Tagging on this one as I want to start an anemone species nano?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Guys - first off - many thanks for this question, Chikaboo. I appreciate it. I hope that ALL members end up reading this thread!

Secondly - please be patient - Anemone (Brenda) is in the US, and she will respond later on.

6. Anemone

Anemone

It takes about a year before a marine tank is stable enough for an anemone. For example, take a look at a new sand bed, then take a look at one a year old. There is a lot of life living in there. New tanks also go through many changes including algae blooms and several mini cycles. Every time you add new livestock your bio load needs to adjust for it. New tanks just do not handle it as well as one that is established. Anemones are delicate creatures that need a stable environment. One with water parameters changing and going through mini cycles is going to be toxic to an anemone.

Now lets talk about cleanup crews. Cleanup crews do not do well with changing parameters. They also do not do well in new tanks where there isn’t enough food for them. When a fish dies in an established tank, it may go unnoticed when it comes to water parameters. This is because the cleanup crew has quickly taken care of it. In a new tank, (that doesn’t have a sufficient cleanup crew) a dead fish is going to cause an ammonia spike.

One of the biggest problems with anemones is that newcomers immediately want a clownfish and anemone. They don’t yet have a good handle on marine tanks, the system is too new, and they don’t have the proper equipment. So when someone who has recently started this hobby wants an anemone, I recommend one year for them to get a handle on marine systems and to let the tank mature. I also recommend during this time that they research anemones so that they can identify an unhealthy anemone before they purchase.

Reef Maniac and viper357 like this.
  7. Anemone

Anemone

I'm nocturnal. :lol:

8. mayet

mayet

thanks fore your advice Anemone

9. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

thanks for the advice brenda, appreciate it. i now have a better undersatanding.:thumbup:

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL Brenda..... No wonder you love animals - you have similar "traits" ;)

Enjoy!

11. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok thanx brenda now for something many of may or may not like 2 hear but would it not b better if we put of buying clowns in particular so that we dont fall into the trap of buying a nennie coz we feel sorry for Nemo but all we doing is doing more harm in trying 2 do good or is it not such a problem 4 clowns 2 stay without nennie?
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. Anemone

Anemone

In captivity clownfish do not need an anemone and an anemone does not need clownfish. Clownfish are also known to host other coral or even a fake anemone when a real anemone is not available, but again, it is not needed. Don't fall into the trap of feeling sorry for the clownfish, it will be fine without an anemone.

13. Prodigy

Prodigy

I was gonna ask the same question very interested in the answer
    Thanx for the advise so far

14. Prodigy

Prodigy

Ok thanx anemone hehe now i have a better understanding thanx

15. mayet

mayet

Ok thanx brenda .

16. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok can sleep better now coz was feeling a bit guilty with my pair of clowns but now hearing it from you it "holds more water" pardon the pun thats all for now but im sure ther'll b more q's coming your way
    Posted via Mobile Device

17. Anemone

Anemone

You're welcome!

18. Tony

Tony

Brenda, If one wanted to do a 35 gallon in cluding the sump species tank like I want to with just three of four clowns, a snail, hermit, cleaner shrimp and an anemone would the year wait be necessary as the bio load will be low? Obviously the tank would have to be well cycled.

19. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok I lied cant sleep without 1 last nagging question last week bought some corals already settled firmly on some live rock now that they have made themselves comfy in my tank and opened nicely I see 2 anemone about 2 cm's inbetween the zoas now the difficult part theres no way 2 remove without destroying them or the zoa colony what to do what to do BTW tank only running stable for bout 4 months now hence the dilema
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. Anemone

Anemone

Yes, it is even more important since you have a smaller system. Water parameters decline much faster in smaller systems. You need to stick to a maximum of two clownfish in this system. Clownfish will fight until death if there is more than one male and one female in a system. Some have gotten away with keeping more than one pair of clownfish, but that is typically in a much much larger system. Even if I had a very large system, I am not willing to experiment with this, so you won't find me recommending it, but I can't tell you it doesn't happen. With clownfish, make sure you never add two females. In the wild you will find one female, one male and a bunch of juveniles (unsexed). When the female dies, the male becomes female and the strongest juvenile becomes male. If the male dies, the female will always remain female and the next strongest juvenile steps up to the plate and becomes a male.

21. Anemone

Anemone

Are these pest anemones?

Recent Posts