Vortex repairs - very urgent

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Tim S, 30 Jan 2012.

1. Tim S

Tim S

Hi all, does anyone know where / who can service and repair Vortex MP40 controllers. I have both my units malfunctioning and need to get them fixed quickley.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Preferably in Cape Town .....

4. Pete

Pete

Hi Tim S. As far as I know they can only be serviced by the supplier and they are in Midrand

5. durleo

durleo

If it is just the controller then just get the MP40es upgraded drivers. They cost about R1100 and it is a straight swap. You will have the added benifit of Ecosmart modes.

6. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

@durleo R1100 x 2 for something I paid plenty for already. Eish it does not feel right. What is the diffirence that the Ecosmart adds to the functioning of the pumps?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

What is the problem with your units?
    Any idea what caused both units to fail?

8. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

@AfricaOffroad I have 2 units. They run on Reefcrest Random mode on anti-sync. The slave unit has been working but it does not run smoothly. What it does is it 'gallops'. It seems the power supply from the controller is not constant. As I explained in anther thread some time back, it runs like a car enjine which has a racing cam. It cannot idle smoothly / constantly. So it is in constant state of either acceleration or deceleration if you can understand what mean. The faster the speed setting the worse the jurking action is. I could live with this as I have them running on Reefcrest Random which does not get to full speed. The master unit stopped working last week with the light displaying red. The motor does not spin at all. I stripped this one out and wanted the slave to work independantly meaning to be able to change the setting on it as it was the only unit still running. I wanted to change the speed up on the blue mode as flow has been lost due the the other pump being down, and it would not change to any other settings. It currently is running but it's running very slowly.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Did you reset the slave unit so that it will run as a free standing unit?
    Perhaps, it is "looking" for the master unit, hence it always running in idle mode?

10. Tony

Tony

Do the controllers have close line of sight. Mine gave me crap a few years back because they werent close enough despite having line of sight. Otherwise try and reprogram them by clearing the memory and creating the master and slave again.

If they are broken, you will have to return them to where you bought them or a pet shop that keeps Aquarium Depot stuff, who will in turn send them to Aquarium depot in Joburg for repairs. Unfortunately AD wont allow you to go directly to them and only via a pet shop so you may have to buy a few cheap sun suns to keep you going while they are repaired as it could be a while

11. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

In the past, once I unplug the power to the master unit, the slave works independantly automatically on all available settings.

12. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

An update, got one pump running after a re-set as suggested. The second unit still needs workshop repairs and therefore need to take it somewhere to be sent in. Any advice?

13. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

@srs777

Recent Posts