vortex/cyclone filter

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by mupwi, 8 Sep 2011.

1. mupwi

mupwi

Hi all I have been ploting building a vortex/cyclone filter for my tank. I probably will install it between overflow and sump to cut down on particles getting down to the sump without having to worry about using filter floss or something like that that can get clogged. It would just need to drain the cone through a small tap on the bottom every couple of days.

I see the koi and aquaculture guys use them and was wondering if there was a reason the didnt seem to be used in marines?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

swirl seperator? works on gravity pulling the dirt to the bottom and the clearer water goes back out the top? then you just either fit a valve or syphon the water out of the v shaped cone , excellent and easy way to do waterchanges..

4. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

yip that's the thing.

Was thinking about using for water changes as well at the moment when I vacuum the sand in the tank I sometimes take out more than the 25l I will be replacing with new water this way ill be able to vacuum all day and only take out the dirt and then just change the quantity of water I want to.

I whent to the plastic shop at lunchtime and got all the parts I need now just have to find the time to put it together and see if it works.

my thinking goes this will take out the particles the skimmer will take out the dissolved organics and ill end up with nice clean water without the hustle of having to change filter floss I could even set up a automated solenoid valve to purge the cone once a day into another container so it will need even less maintenance.

5. leslie hempel

i made mine out of a 25lt bucket inserted into a 200lt drum,the plumbing was from the overflow into the 25lt and then it had an elbow that alowed the water to gently rotate in the 25lt allowing gravity to pull it to the botto where it settled,

the clearer water would then overflow again out of the 25lt and enter the 200lt it was stationed in, i added another 200lt for water volume.. and then it went to the filter where the skimmer was situated (a jebo in those days) the pod life was phenoninal and i cant wait to get to a point where i can do that again..

also me loving LPS and softies over sps i actually want a bit of detritus for the nutrients...

it was the best my system ever was.. such a pity i never documented any of it.. there was no forum in those days :(

6. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

hows some photos when you get started... i would smaak to check how this thing works and the size of it all, i like the sound of cleaning with out having to throw away water, i usually siphon into my sump with a stocking on the end and then have to keep a beady eye on the water level in the sump

7. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

im also thinking this might we a good place to mix the output fron the chiller with the tank water so when it comes into contact with fish or choral that it is well mixed wit cause problems with the separation though

8. leslie hempel

I had my home made chiller attached to my 1st drum and it was fed by a seperate pump and returned back into the same 200lt it was fed from..

when you say seperation? what are you reffering to?

9. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

well from what I understand the cyclone works by separating the different density in suspension if the cold water ends up denser than the partial we are trying to filter out it may cause them to end up going out the outlet and only ending up with cold water in your dirt collection area

10. leslie hempel

I wouldent get too scientific about it, i would have to see your design to comment more accuratley but in the one i built (having the 25lt bucket inserted into the 200lt and being the catchment area) all i had to do was make sure the water wasnt too turbulent in the 25lt and circulated slowly.. gravity did the rest

you could add a filter sock to the section where the 25lt enters the 200lt to prevent the detritus from entering the main 200lt volume..

but i think it will be dufferent from design to design..

the difference in densitys is a nice addition though and does make sence..

11. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I think it comes down to just building it and see how it works and tweak from there

12. leslie hempel

for sure, if you get the basics right it can be a fantastic point to add additional filtration onto..im going with a 400lt square drum next time with a 25lt inserted.. that way i will be able to clean better within the bottom drum..

but i promise you, you will see such life develop within that drum.. my goldies were the fattest i had ever seen them...

13. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

why do you think that was?

14. leslie hempel

i was using a 2000lt pump as a return and feeding the drum swirl seperator from my pverflow.. it acted as a refuigium basically, there was some detritus settlement but it was removed every 2 weeks..

the 1st drum basically was untouched and the second emptied and water changes were conducted in this drum to avoid upsetting the main display...

copeods were so thick in the second drum which led to the filter then back to the return, if i did things again i would bypass the filter and have this water fall directly into the return compartment to be pumped back into the display..

15. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

so the life was there because it was a refuigium not because of the seperator

16. leslie hempel

basically, i used 2 black drums aswell and kept the covers on them, so it was always pitch black in the drums..

17. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

ok so a dark fuge

18. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I have verry few pods inn my tank and am looking for a way to stimulate there growth

19. leslie hempel

Dark worked for me.. so yep.. i tend to think the pods are more livley in the dark.. will get them doing the jiggy and produce a natural food sorce..

:)

20. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

ill look into that as Im keen to get an decent pod population going as I want to introduce some anthias to the tank and im hoping a big pop population wil eliminate the need for constant feeding

21. leslie hempel

well i wouldent say that because i wouldent want to encourage lessening the feeding routine but i would say it would definatley help in complementing the diet, and sticking to a more natural form of feeding as the food is live...

Even my corals were huge during my time of having this system coupled to my tank.. and i barely ever fed... i was at a stage where it was almost running itself.. i just popped some chow in twice a day and did 200lt water changes once a week..

Recent Posts