Vortech Pumps really worth it?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by CocaColaza, 25 Jun 2012.

1. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

Currently deciding what flow to get for my tank. Would just like to know if the Vortech Mp40's are really worth it? They go for around 5k which in my opinion is quite a lot to pay for flow. For 2k I can get 4x Seio props for a total of 24,000l/h flow.
    So apart from the fact that the head is dry , and you can set it to do all cools kinds of programs and the cosmetics of having wires in my tank are they really worth the price?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Yes

I also wondered but they are worth every penny. The modes are cool, the wifi is cool, the integration with profilux is cool, the easy cleaning is cool, the no wires in the tank is cool.

But its just waterflow at the end of the day which most pumps can do easily

4. crispin

crispin

dont unxderestimate the vallue of all those cool programs. Having a controllable pump is hugely to your advantage in creating the kind of random flow you need. I have a number of vortech, tunze, seio and boyu wave makers. Without a shadow of doubt id get tunze on a decent controller first, then vortech, then seio (if on a controller) and eventually if i want to mix salt water in a bucket, a boyu wave maker.

I personally am not certain vortech are worth their current price as a straight out pump. But they ARE worth their vallue withy regards to asthetics, controllability and quality of flow, but personally I would loose some athetics and get tunze if i personally had a choice.

always rember, quality of flow WAY out plays quantity. Better correctly placed pumps creating good random movement of water are way better than lots of pumps blasting water around a tank.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
  5. CocaColaza

CocaColaza Thread Starter

Yeah in the end my choice comes down to spend 3k more on a skimmer or 3k more on water-flow and for me the decision is fairly obvious. Just wanted to double check that im not missing anything.

6. rakabos

rakabos

If you have the money dont buy a vortech new :p

If you can get them cheaper secondhand go for it, but 5k for one is silly

7. DubKorps

DubKorps

like with any purchase,even outside of marines.... YOU PAY SOLELY FOR THE FEATURES......... but imo i think looks wise is a bonus coz they almost hidden in tanks unlike those rather large other brands :lol: and also the fact that they dont give off heat to your tank cause of the wet dry design

8. archiecrain

archiecrain

Its a nose bleed buying one, but Ive been nothing but happy with mine.....damn can these things move water when you crank them up to full blast!!

9. Ishtak

Ishtak

I've got 2 MP40's on my tank now (1.2m). Having them hooked up to the Reef Angel makes doing things a breeze! Time based programming (if I want), feed mode at the click of a button, night mode when the lights go off and loads more... amazing little pumps :)

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

YES
    I got 2, and they are awesome. Yes, they are expensive. But they are worthwhile. One thing I did notice is that they tend not to get that much dirty compared to my Seio pumps. They are more out of the way, not under the lights. Less algae grow on them. Neater as in less cables in the tank. But because the main driver is outside, you can hear a slight hum. Ok, you cannot direct them as you can do with the Seio or other pumps. But they are a lot easier to clean. No removal and unplugging of cables.

Alternative option, if you want flow, then the Oceanprop 15000 by AquaMedic is another option at half the price. But they are big and bulky. But if you can hide them, they do push a lot of water and do come with a controller. OK, not all the nice features as with Vortech, but yes, they are my second choice.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

spend the money on the skimmer, never skimp on the skimmer and get the best you can, then later you can get the flow pumps. You can get a cheap pump for the cycle. YOu dont need a vortech to cycle a tank

Recent Posts