Vortech MP60 Or Tunze Wavebox 6212

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Ayoob, 23 Jul 2012.

1. Ayoob

Ayoob

Tank specs
    standard 6ft (200cm X 45cm X 45cm) sps reef with some lps.

Advice would highly be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

For the price of thw mp60 i would rather go for 2 x mp40 or 2 x 6105.

4. Jayceew

Jayceew

Agreed, this is a long tank and I doubt you will get proper flow to reach the side opposite to the Mp60. They have quite a wide flow pattern.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i cant speak for the MP60 but i would say you would have more veritility with 2 pumps on a controller than 1 wavebox, a wavebox is there to create occilation and must be supplemented with additional flow.

6. George

George Sponsor

The 6212 wavebox has been replaced with the 6215 which works for a 1500 litre tank size, and both these would be too big for the dimensions you supplied (405 litres)
    What would do the job would be a 6206 wavebox provided you have a central overflow and for additional flow the new 6105 streams which incorporate wideflow tech in the box
    would do the job more than enough infact you could also look at the new 6095 wideflow streams. The advantage here is that you can mount these Stream pumps anywhere you want in the tank and direct the flow anywhere.

7. Damen

Damen

what flow units would be recomended for a tank size 1800x650x600 800ltr. i am trying to figure out what flow is needed for the tank. looking at lps softies and a few sps if possible.

8. Ayoob

Ayoob Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like I'm going to have to get some Tunze pumps, really don't like the noisy motor sound of the vortechs. So Tunze it is
    @George How many 6095 wideflow streams would i have to add on a Multicontroller 7096 for my system?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. George

George Sponsor

Hello Ayoob

Presently I would recommend 2 x 6095 and a 7096 controller even though you can power up to 8 Tunze electronic pumps irrespective of what streams you are already running.
    2 would suffice for now you can always add more later.
    Please send Anita a mail so that she can send you an estimate, if you have decided as to what you require. anita@aqua-africa.co,za

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Would 2 6105s not be a better bet george? The 6105 has a narrower stream (wide enough for a 45 tank) but it will give some extra reach which might be needed in a 2m long tank. Yes they are a little bigger than the 6095 but at least you can have decent flow in the middle of the tank.

And they also come with the wide flow adapter if wider flow is wanted.

11. George

George Sponsor

There would be nothing wrong in using 2 x 6105's at all and if the pocket has the extra bucks it would give the better flow, but they would have to be set correctly otherwise the center of the tank might suffer with 2 colliding strong flows because of the narrow tank. Aesthetically in a 450mm width and 450mm height the 6095 would look better because of the smaller size overall.

12. Ayoob

Ayoob Thread Starter

Ok so 2 of 6095 will find out by Anita what it will cost shipped to me.

13. DubKorps

DubKorps

you must have seen faulty vortechs if you think they noisy lol... 90% of the worlds population uses vortech so somewer you must have been misguided,there almosy invisible sleek design,if lined up 100% almost dead silent...many many and many more features, including many advanced features......in the end its ur choice,i also wanted tunzes but if i may ..."majority rules" thats how i made up my mind :lol:

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Then I guess all vortechs are faulty as I have never heard one MP40 that is dead silent when it ramps up and down. :lol:

All that that says is that you are a sheep that follows the flock.:p

15. Monti

Monti

Ummmmm, where do you get that 90% of the world uses vortech? Total exaggeration.... my guess is more in the region of 25% of reefers use vortech...

I have a vortech and a tunze, and yes the vortech looks awesome, and yes it gives great flow BUT there is no way it is quiet (and yes it is lined up correctly... there is no rattle, BUT there is a definate hum as it ramps up and down- rather annoying.) The vortech is also known to be a bit unreliable at times...

The tunze is an awesomely quiet pump. Maybe not quite as sleek as the vortech, but definately has a place in my heart.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2012
  16. Difficult marine

Difficult marine

Do you used vortechs? If you have before,i dont think you will said that.

17. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

having had 4 vortech in the past and 5 tunzes id go with Tunze anyday..

i found vortech to be way more problematic and mainly due to misalignment issues but their drivers can also be tempermental, magnets can rupture (having had gen one and gen 2 pumps) etc etc..

Tunze is a far superior product the only downfall of it being the cable within the tank still... but this is minor....

18. archiecrain

archiecrain

My BMW is better than your Mercedes.....and Audis are ugly.....

:beatdeadhorse5:
    They both have very clear pros and cons. Its comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

19. DubKorps

DubKorps

who can say they have a dead silent tank :lol: ... come on guys what adding a small extra hum with the hum from ur skimmers ,uplift pumps etc ..... so a dead silent tunze is going to make all that diference :rofl:

20. Monti

Monti

Theres a difference between a normal tank hum and the noise that vortechs produce... you will see when youve actually used one for a while ;)

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I have 2 Vortech MP40
    Running them on full blast does generate a lot of hum. I run them at about 40 to 50%

Part of the problem is misalignment and also using the spacer incorrect. If the glass is thinner as what the spacer is set to, it will cause the inside to run sticky, causing more noise. Other way around and you run the risk of bumping the pump of the glass to easy.

I love the MP40 for 2 reasons. No wires in the tank. No heat in the water.

There is another slightly hidden advantage in that the pump is more out of the way and less under the lights. That means less algae grow on them, less maintenance and cleaner looking setup.

Recent Posts