Urgent help needed volcano starfish disintegrating!!!!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Barlan, 28 Jan 2013.

1. Barlan

Barlan

hi all, i need help with my starfish, its started to disintegrate about 3 days ago, and its getting worse and worse.

long story short, this is what i observed this weekend.

my volcano starfish (had for about 5 months) was half on the rock and half on my pulsing coral with his arm tips curling back, i only noticed on sunday that they were kinda frayed, all 5 of them!

i moved him from the pulsing to a rock near by and he moved back towards the pulsing but then down the back wall of my tank. so i thought he was ok.

today he looks like he's really disintegrating at a fast pace :( really looks bad! it looks painful.

i havent done anything cause i dont know what to do. all i read about was that he is dying. someone mentioned squirting iodine onto the starfish and the wounds and it helped, but i havent read up too much about treating with iodine.

here's a pic, i had to downscale the res, so pls let me know if its too small.

it looks bad, i know :(

i was thinking of a quaratine tank, but i dont have one setup so how would i even feed it! its not the easiest thing to target feed.

pls help and thank you in advance

Edit: All water parameters are good, apart from phosphates which are about 0.13.

starfish.jpg

Last edited: 28 Jan 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dave F

Dave F

It seems like necrosis. Google it and take a look. I am no expert on this but it seems that he starfish can be saved as long as the necrosis has not reached the disc. The one article I read said you should cut off he affected area. Sounds hectic, so read for yourself. Good luck

4. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi again, so my star fish is still one piece but still not looking great.

i've googled star fish necrosis and i cant find any pics to be sure. at the moment, my star fish looks like hard cake icing thats chipping off here and there. thats the best i can describe it as, the back, which is covered in small circular plates, looks and its coming off in chunks and the white underside of its arms is breaking off as well, really looks like an icing star fish gone wrong. he's not melting as such, more like just breaking up.

i read an article on amputation, and the one part that i didnt understand was how to NOT expose the star to air while applying disinfectant and also not applying the disinfectant to non infected areas, while its submersed in water. doesnt seem logical to me...

here's the article, i cant see the pics so its a little intimidating to do.
    Step-by-Step photo guide for treatment of Starfish Necrosis - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

any one had issues like this and had to deal with it?
    thanks in advance

Recent Posts