Voetstoets

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dave F, 4 Oct 2013.

1. Dave F

Dave F

Hi guys, this comes off the back of something a read in another thread. I dont want to open that specific discussion but rather something else and maybe someone can advise.

With the new consumer rights, I was told, rightly or wrongly, not too sure, that there is no such thing as a voetstoets sale. So like we often do on MASA, we upgrade our equipment and then sell off our second hand things. This is what has made this hobby affordable for me. It does mean I need to wait a little at times and somehow @sleepy seems to beat me the things I am looking for. He must be Jedi or something, i digress.

So here is the point, if we buy second hand equipment, am I right in saying that legally we are entitled to a refund if said equipment is defective?

The next thought is this, if I buy on some other sites I am able to "rate" the seller is that not possible for us on MASA and the reverse also true, as a seller able to rate the buyer. Or does that just get all too complicated?

Just some thoughts, I hope I don't get nailed!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

You are able to rate all sellers and buyers on MASA. I find it strange we don't do it more often.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2013
  4. Seabass

Seabass

You are entitled to your money even if the item is not defective.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

So if I bid on an auction or make an offer to purchase on a house and then change my mind !!!! Am I entitled to my money back? Release from contractual obligation?

Even on a eBay deal?

Interesting discussion.

6. Fred d

Fred d

i bought a new flatscreen a little while back , asked the sales manager about this spesific subject . he told me that he must give me my cash back but in turn is entitled to charge me for use of bought items and also deduct some for depreciation of said item .

7. Quintin

Quintin

I would say that;
    You are entitled to receive your money back from a seller on the forum under the following conditions;
    1. The item is defective and this was not mentioned / declared on the thread by the seller.
    In this case depending on the defect you are entitled to either:
    a) A full refund - If it does not work.
    b) A partial refund covering the cost of the repair.

2. The item is not as specified. (wrong size pump, ect)

I believe in honesty on all the sales I do and will stick to the above
    As an example;
    I sold some Vertex Illumilux lights some time back on this forum.
    The purchaser informed me that one of the LEDs on the unit was not working.
    I was not aware of this as I check all my stuff and ensure that it is in good working order and clean.
    I offered him a full refund if he returned the unit or a partial refund to cover the cost of the replacement LED on the unit.

He opted for a partial refund after we both checked the prices of replacement parts at our local LFS.

We need to put ourselves on the receiving end of the goods for sale and ask ourselves if we would be happy buying the item for sale.

If the answer is no, either throw it in the bin or give it away for free to a mate.

My 2c worth on this subject.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2013
  8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i went to a car dealership the other day to clarify a simular question in terms of a car sale..

the jist of it was that between private seller and buyer voetstoets will be very difficult to inforce but between dealership and buyer because of the company having to retain a good reputation voetstoets would apply..

Thats my experience with it..

unfortunatley with regards to private second hand purchases it involves a little faith, thats why we try inforce that pictures are displayed by the seller of the actual item at the actual time its been decided that its going to be sold, (not a pic from when they first got it)

the CPA laws are constantly having to be reviewed due to unforseen loopholes.. good for the buyer.. its helped me a few times already

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

if there is full disclosure before the sale is conducted then you have no comeback, but if the seller misrepresents his item then you are entitled to a refund.

Ps there is a rating system in place on MASA.

10. Evo R

Evo R

Look the short version is this. The consumer act protects any buyer / client ect from a sale going wrong and or if 100% satisfaction was not achieved ..... but this is not always worth while.

Eg. If a house sale or car sale of thousands or hundred of thousands of Rands is worth the effort and legal costs involved. But not for a minor deal like a R200 second hand heater that packs up after a month.

it boils down to is it worth all the drama and cost to get your R200 back,as in the old end it could cost you more in legal cost and telephone expences ect.

11. Fred d

Fred d

was just wondering how far one can push playing the ignorant / i didnt know of that defect card

12. Seabass

Seabass

Trust me you cannot.

13. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

might I add that buying second hand equipment may be the worst option.

Recently bought a radion xr30 from a member, 2 days later the units were on special at the price I bought the second hand for, I have no guarantee, no warranty and no accurate details on how the unit was used, buying cheap is in fact buying expensive............

14. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

Well you can sell something voetstoots or "as is" but you need ensure that the buyer knows exactly what he is getting with voetstoots. If you sell your skimmer with pump broken and you tell him its fine, but then he can't get home and also find the venturi broken etc.

Recent Posts