1. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Does anyone here know if there are any threads/articles on MASA specifically on vodka dosing?

I tried a search but it comes up with lists of people saying...."try carbon dosing"... ect

I have found this articles Vodka Dosing...Distilled! and was wondering if anyone has any local experiences to share on their Carbon dosing.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

That article you mentioned is good. Follow the instructions and you'll be OK. I've personally switched to sugar as the vodka was fuelling my cyano but not everyone has the same problem. IN my last tank I dosed vodka with no problem

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Read this link, Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com.
    Been using this method with great success, to prevent cyano outbreak try using the product Microbacter7 from brightwell, they also have a product that replaces vodka dosing, but you need to switch your skimmers off for a few hours.
    Good luck!

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

same as listed above go slow and take it easy and all will be good. do not rush it.
    The only problem i had with dosing sugar was measuring it accurately.

7. mupwi

mupwi

I would think to dose sugar the simplest way wold be to devolve it in ro water to a constant sg like you would with your salt for a water change then dose that as you would vodka

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

I read some articles and seems that vodka is the best carbon source vs sugar and vinegar.. I have been using vodka for about a week and NO3 and PO4 are at 0

9. mupwi

mupwi

Tony do you know why the vodka caused cyno as apposed to the sugar nor cant think what would be different?

10. Tony

Tony

Agreed Tremayn. I stopped using it becasue of the cyano. It is a brilliant carbon source

I cant say for sure but bear in mind I cycled my tank in a day and started dosing vodka from the start. The tank still had to go through its usual cyano and diatom bloom as part of the system stabilising itself and getting rid of the nutrients. The vodka must have fuelled the cyano which was part of the cycle and it never went away. I switched to sugar as an alternative which has worked as I am waiting for the bio pellets to kick in. Once I am comforteable the cyano has gone I will definately switch back to vodka.

11. Francois

Francois

I'm also dosing vodka for the past two weeks now 0.7ml in the morning and 0.7ml in the evening with 0.5ml of Microbacter7 in the evening .Is it better to dose Microbacter daily or weekly?

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

I have heard a lot of problems when dosing mb7. I would rather use stabilty, personally I use biodigest. Dose according to the manufacturers instructions

13. Francois

Francois

First week I dose Vodka and the week after I got some MB7 and does accordingly, but I've noticed my substrate turning green/brown when I started dosing MB7 so I decided to leave MB7 last night to see if it would clear up.

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

15. Francois

Francois

Recent Posts