Vodka Dosing??

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Evo R, 25 Mar 2010.

1. Evo R

Evo R

Hi All:

I know this must have been covered a million times before but,what is Vodka dosing and what is its purpose?

Thanks in advane :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

WOW Brew, this is a complex subject to give a one liner. Besides there are different methods. Most common and in simple terms.

1) By dosing Vodka (carbon source) in a denitrifier if feeds bacteria that promote the denitrification.

2) By dosing Vodka to an open system one helps bacteria mineralize DOC for extraction via skimming.

Both will take up hours of explanation so please read up a little on the subject and we will try and fill in the gaps for you.

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

yes it has been covered quite a few times before, a few quick clicks with google on the home page would have been quicker:whistling:

but when you dose vodka/sugar you are adding a source of carbon to the water. Which algaes and bacteria feed on to multiply. Its an unfortunate effect that the algaes grow better too, but if you are smart with your dosing you can make sure most of it goes to the bacteria. It also makes you skim better, like crazy better, with my skimmer set pretty dry, i get a god skimmate build up, with vodka the skimmer goes into overdrive and i start getting very wet skimmate, needing then to adjust the skimmer again. So if you decide to add vodka, do it very slowly. Depending on the size of you tank, say for a 4 foot, start with a half ml in the morning or evening for a week, and slowly increase the dosage over time. You will figure out where the level suits you best, but be careful, the bacteria are hard workers, i've killed two corals before with having no more nutrients in the water anymore after a few weeks of dosing..

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

same time post :)

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Evo R Look up Nitrate reactors, Nitrate Reductors, Vodka in your google for 1. For 2 look up DOC, vodka and redfield. Hope this helps

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup same time. Talking about time i see the system time is now fixed and the system not slow as well.

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah it doesnt seem too bad. Maybe dean organised some RAM from a back street dealer in a hurry :p NJ you need to change that avatar :p these are times of change :p Especially when they are naked mole rats :p

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmm... Masters look like there pets. At 105 and counting i say i am doing fine. Eyes fading a bit though. Every thing else from memory is OK.

10. scubaninja

scubaninja

i suppose they do, or is it that masters pick pets that look like them? 105 is a bit much though compared to my 9 :p and they're all fish :)

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OT coming down to Durbs Easter. doing some diving at aliwal shoal. Chances ADVdiver and me to peek a few tanks?

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

that would be awesome :) PM me your dates and time, contact details etc and i'll see what i can maybe organise:thumbup:

13. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the info!!!!!

Recent Posts