Vleis Kubus Tenk (ON HOLD)

Vleis Visagie

Be good or be good at it
Reaction score
Hey guys......

So a year after starting my Nano, I've decided to build something bigger....
For some reason i like the cube look in a living room & i have a bit of space for it...

Size I'm contemplating is either 800x800x600 or 900x900x600 or 1000x1000x600. Im leaning more towards the the 900 though...

Few guys have warned me about scaping a cube might not be to leke.... So the cube guys, ill appreciate your input here

Im gonna try SPS dominant as the look just grew on me & love the colors all mixed up, but SPS still scares me a bit, as i dnt have all the experience in the world.

Tank will be around 500l & then ill add the sump still.... Want to design something cool, but prob will end up with something simple. hahahaha

Ive acquired a pretty strong Return pump so far (well i think its strong, hahah), so Im gonna try to run 2 or 3 reactors off the RT pump to save power & space..... Red Devil DC10000

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-27 at 08.31.37.jpeg

Busy buying a JNS sk3 skimmer as well, rated for +-1500l... Deal hasnt been sealed yet but hopefully it will be shipped this week

WhatsApp Image 2017-06-26 at 18.58.27.jpeg

As for the rest of the equipment ill still see what pops up.... Still need a few goodies but ill get there slowly....

The progress wont be fast on this thread but bare with me. Hahahahahha

Anyway....
Enjoy guys
Vleis

Just check that pump impeller. They do not like to stand dry after being used in saltwater. Mine got stuck on the front bush. Really struggled to get it removed and cleaned. Take it apart and rinse it properly to get rid of all the salt residue.

Just check that pump impeller. They do not like to stand dry after being used in saltwater. Mine got stuck on the front bush. Really struggled to get it removed and cleaned. Take it apart and rinse it properly to get rid of all the salt residue.

The guy said he did clean in, but ill open up and clean it as well....... Thanks for the heads up

EDIT* The red devil or skimmer pump?

Last edited:
Red Devil.
I got the Jabeo versions, same thing if you are colorblind

But you can do the skimmer as well, a lot of impellers are sticky / stuck if the pump was left to dry out by itself.

Check the bush, around the impeller. The bush would come out of the front housing. It does look to be part of the shaft, although its not. Same color, almost looks like a ceramic ring. That ring should be removed and cleaned.

If impeller is free, just rinse it without taking everything apart.

impeller-top-and-end-rubber-jebao-rw-20-rw-15-rw-8.jpg

Here is the ring inside the soft end caps.

Great start...if it were me I would go with the 100 X 100 X 600 rimless in starfire...

12mm will be fine but your water level will have to be around 540mm

Stay away from a cube... told you a million times!!! Just like I told you more than a year ago to drill the tank and run a sump... you just never listens... Rather go for 1200 x 600 x 550 or 1000 x 600 x 550... and pin this post you will thank me a year from now.

LOL at @Express Reef

Yeah, a cube looks nice. But personally, not for me. Although the water volume is theoretically enough to keep tangs, they simply do not have enough swimming space. A rectangular tank do provide a bit of "legroom". Other thing to keep in mind is the sump space on cube are normally a bit awkward.

But yes, with a nice center pinnacle a cube does look nice, and the fish could go round and round. But they will stay on the front end going left and right.

Very nice @Vleis Visagie.
So when you ordering the glass. hehehe.
Let the build begin

LOL at @Express Reef

Yeah, a cube looks nice. But personally, not for me. Although the water volume is theoretically enough to keep tangs, they simply do not have enough swimming space. A rectangular tank do provide a bit of "legroom". Other thing to keep in mind is the sump space on cube are normally a bit awkward.

But yes, with a nice center pinnacle a cube does look nice, and the fish could go round and round. But they will stay on the front end going left and right.
Been thinking about the sump yes with the cube shape. Hehehehhe

Back
Top Bottom