Visser's 100% DIY Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Visser, 3 May 2012.

1. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi guys... I finally got to the point where I want to share my new nano system ive been planning for the past 4 months.

Just some background:
    I was looking for a "large" sized nano aquarium for quite some time now but was unable to find one with the capabilities i wanted to install into my new reef... Soooooo. One thing leads to the other & i finally started planning an all in one diy setup. I was on a mission to build the ultimate fully automatic diy nano aquarium i could possibly keep.

The idea behind the nano:
    I was planning to have the maximum sized nano aquarium i could possibly have. As far as i could find out was that a nano size aquarium was up to the 30gallon (115l) range.

Firstly i started playing with sizes for an aquarium that would be nice & capable of holding the nicest aquascaping & highest quantity of corals that i could fit into that volume.
    The product came out to be 550mm wide x 500mm deep x 425mm tall which ends up on 116l.

Next, i decided i wanted to go rimless as i like the look of the open aquarium & not going to keep a lot of fish (more corals)

The tank is going to be an SPS dominated tank with a few polyps, zoas & other small softies to fill the gaps.

Planning the actual build:
    I started doing some hand sketches of what i would like & what could work & downloaded a ton of nano sps tank pictures to see what could work for my tank. So i decided to take the plunge & jumped head first into designing & planning of my tank.

What i needed in the tank design:
    1.A tank in my size range: I dont want any wavemakers or powerheads in my tank so it needs a lot of return pump...
    I dont want any wires (or anything else in the tank except corals, liverock & fish)
    Tank needed to be made of glass to prevent scratched tanks like those acrylic ones. (been there...)
    Glass should be strong enough to be rimless (but not too thick as to spoil the tank)
    2.A sump that could handle +- 4000l/h flow (i know it sounds like a lot but i will explain later...) without overflowing.
    3.A steel stand that would not rust, is strong enough (oh, and did i mention that the whole tank is on wheels) to handle pushing it around.
    4. Sump should have 4 compartments: First compartment for skimmer (reeftek ts1) & overflow from tank
    Second for filter media (carbon, purigen, phosguard & other)
    Third for my DSB (weird to see a DSB on a nano, hey?) & my unique Denitrator which i will
    share with you guy at a later time (first have to see my test results for effectiveness)
    Fourth is return chamber which needs to accomodate 2 big pumps (lifetech 2500l/h pumps) & my
    DIY automatic topoff switches.
    5. A 150w metal halide light fitting to make those SPS grow up nicely...
    6. odds & ends: Ozone maker, timer switches, kalk mixer, heater, ato tank, controller & some more...
    7.Tank needs to be able to move around when i need to so it has to be put on wheels (another first for me)

Problems with this tank:
    1. FITTING ALL THAT INTO A TANK... WOW! What a "kopkrapper"
    2. Calculating glass thickness (found a spreadsheet calculator) & finding someone to cut it the way i want it.
    3. Having enough flow for sps corals without any wavemakers in the tank.
    4. Fitting everything in the cabinet since i hate wires & stuff standing around a tank (keep it clean)
    5. Making a light fitting that doesnt "hang from the roof", moves with the tank & is minimalistic. (with enough UMFF of course)
    6. Making the frame strong enough to keep it from falling apart when moving.
    7. Making a ATO to keep salinity stable...
    8. Putting a nice "big" skimmer in there to keep it clean.
    9. Designing the overflow. (Made my own calculations & set up a spreadsheet to calculate this. If anyone in need for such a spreadsheet, just PM me)
    10. Designing the returns for max flow.
    11. Making it all rust proof.
    12. And the biggest problem..... Oh wait... im not married yet so ignore this one. LOL

Here are some drawings that i did to plan my designs:
    PLEASE COMMENT/CRITICIZE AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE: WANT TO HEAR ALL YOUR OPINIONS...
    ENJOY THE BUILD...
    The original design
    [​IMG]
    First 3d design
    [​IMG]
    3d views
    [​IMG]
    The tank
    [​IMG]
    The frame
    [​IMG]
    The Sump
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching, will be back soon with an update.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser Thread Starter MASA Contributor

First build update

Here is the first building pictures. Glass has been ordered, stand & sump has been built. (and tested after a week with RO water)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Will be back with a complete update & explanation of how i built the sump & frame.
    Cheers

4. Dusty

Dusty

wow keen to see this tank when its running and stocked! Dig your design

5. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

Good luck Visser!

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

your light stand bar thingy. I would put a slightly bigger square tubing just under the top frame so that the light can just slide into it. That would help you to remove the light plus that bar for whenever you need to move the tank. it could be a little bit wobbly but if you do it right it could be stable.

Also that overflow box.... hmmm, nice place for a frag area....

Only issue I can think about is the location of your 2 return lines, and more important the siphon breaks on them.

7. Visser

Thanks dusty, promise i wont disapoint...
    Cant wait to have this one up & running...

8. Visser

Haha, great idea for the frag area... Very original. Will keep that in mind once i start fragging.
    Will put a bit more thinking into the light stand, thanks riaanp.

9. DarrenT

DarrenT

looks promising! keep us updated!

10. Mc

Mc

Very nice nano, I will be waiting on another update.:)

11. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

Wow, nice design. Will follow the progress of this project.

Good luck.

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

Wow it looks like a well thought out nano. following with keen interest.

13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Visser

Talk me through the back of your tank with the angled piece of glass.... what is the purpose here? I have built a few tanks in my time and the back of your tank looks full of build problems ... would like more insight into your thought process here ....

Have you done a weight calc on the final tank ?

14. Meneer

Meneer

Nice project... looking forward to see it up and running :thumbup:

15. Visser

Hi Neil, thanks for asking, firstly, the reason for the funny skew rear side of tank, is that i didnt want any overflow box inside the display "cube" area, plus i needed a overflow that wont get blocked by ANYTHING!!!
    This design allows me to drill the bottom of the overflow to a large diameter for the 40mm downpipe needed to handle the flow & i decided to use 2 of those flexible hoses (20mm dia, the ones they use for milling machines) for the return to the tank. These, i am going to drill through the left & right of the same glass pane, & bend over the overflow glass to return to the display. I am building the tank this afternoon, will let you guys know how it went & have a couple more photos & drawings on monday to explain everything better.

I also left enough space in the overflow for a nice big heater to lie horizontally...

As for the weight of the entire setup, it ends up at a total of just over 200kg. The wheels im using is heavy duty industrial type, & can handle 100kg each which counts up to 400kg bearing capacity, so no worries there...

Will give you guys a full update with lots of pics on monday to give a better idea of the workings of this aquarium.

Im getting really exited now to see this one finished!!!

Last edited: 4 May 2012
  16. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hey @Visser !

Looking good, Nice design :thumbup:

I also dont use any powerheads in my tank...just a powerfull return (Hailea HX6540) with two inlets on either side of the back panel...Does the job pretty well. ;)

Looking forward to seeing this tank coming alive :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Good luck Visser, i am interested to see how it pans out ...

I am no mechanical engineer and @Manic may be able to offer a better opinion, but my understanding is that the load bearing per wheel is not as simple as adding them all up together .... it may be worth double checking

18. Visser

Thanks bootcamp, im glad to hear someone else has tried the "no powerhead" design with success, was a bit worried about that.

Your right neil, the loading on the wheels isnt simply devided by 4...
    But these wheels usually have a safety factor of 1.5 which means that they are supposed to be able to carry 150kg / wheel which ends up at +- 600kg total bearing = a safety factor of 3 for this tank. But thanks neil, i like the way your thinking. Will have a re-look at the wheels just to be sure.

19. Visser

Where to buy float switches???

Hi guys, anyone here know where to buy 12v electronic float switches in pta/jhb, want to build a diy ato, but cant find a electronics wholesaler who stocks them. Thanks

20. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

Hey Visser - try RS Electronics in Kyalami - I need them switches aswell...

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  21. Visser

Thanks clownfish9906, will definately give them a try. If they got, i can get you some too & i can drop them off since i drive past midrand every day. Will let you know when i found some. Thanks

Recent Posts