Visit to Durbs

Reaction score
Hi guys is there anyone who can help me with a list of nice goodies you can get out of the rockpools at margate or durban and where to look,and if there is any nice fish you could catch there in the rockpools or liverock?

enough specimens to catch in our rock pools and at vetchies aswell.in the rock pools you will find lotsa awsome Zoas in all different colours.dont forget to obtain your permits before collecting anything ;)

the water is fine.i snorkeled at margate about 2 weekends back,an all is good.over the weekend the water at vetchies was crystal clear.when deciding on diving at vetchies,make sure the the day and night before the wind is blowing S/SW as it cleand up the water and makes visibality a whole lot better ;)

Was in Margate December 2007 - was not able to find anything at the time. Due to the storms earlier on in 2007, it seems that there was not many fish in the rockpools. I looked from Port Shepstone down to Ramsgate.

Mekaeel - you say it is better now w.r.t to marine fish in rock pools, in that region?

i caught a lion fish some snowflake eels, and a boxfish and allot of shrimp ones.

Was in Margate December 2007 - was not able to find anything at the time. Due to the storms earlier on in 2007, it seems that there was not many fish in the rockpools. I looked from Port Shepstone down to Ramsgate.

Mekaeel - you say it is better now w.r.t to marine fish in rock pools, in that region?
there were a few specimens around,but mostly the common stuff,eg. convicts bristletooth racoons vegabons...to be more specific,this was in Uvongo

Cool thanks for all the advice so far,are there bristele stars and snails that are safe for a reef tank

The local brittle stars are ok for a tank although I'm not sure if you're allowed to collect those.

Okay finally im going to margate tomorow,can any locals help me is it possible to collect anything there now with the flooding situations and where is a nice spot where you can get lots of rock pools or shallow water with something nice in

Doubt it, that area is a mess, you may have to travel up the north coast.

Franske - the only places that I was able to see/find anything, was either at the beaches in Port Shepstone - or perhaps alternatively down to Southport way.... Ramsgate AND Margate is a HUGE mess.... I was there in January this year....
AND: Now they had even MORE floods (last week), you gonna struggle....

Found lots and lots of nice zoas in all colours here in margate,also got 2 feather worms,how long can the zoas survive in a bag

Found lots and lots of nice zoas in all colours here in margate,also got 2 feather worms,how long can the zoas survive in a bag

Probably one day, it the worms I would worry about, they might die if kept without oxygen for too long.

while you are staying there,do a water change everyday,before you leave,fill the bag up with fresh NSW and take it back home.Zoas are hardy and pretty hard to kill

Back
Top Bottom