viper357

Discussion in 'New Members' started by GWA, 2 May 2011.

1. GWA

GWA

Hi all
    I am new to this hobby and already it has got me all worked up and very excited.Is there any sort of clubs or get togethers in JHB or the surrounding areas?:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

1stly Welcome to MASA,

We do occactionally have get togethers.

Where abouts in Gauteng are you from?

Do you have any tanks now?

4. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

5. maxisoft

maxisoft

:welcometomasa2:

6. inflames

inflames

Welcome to MASA!

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Have a look on the forums page and you will see a forum called Local Reefing Clubs, there are occasional gatherings held, also the guys are off to Mozambique for some fun, maybe you could join in. :)

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome :)

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. Seeing that you're new, read the link below on starting a marine tank - valuable info for beginners ;)

10. GWA

GWA Thread Starter

GWA

Thanks to all for that warm welcome.Please help I have noticed that I need to clean out my protein skimmer at least twice a week it has a lot of dirty water in it What may be the cause of this and what is RO water and where do I obtain this water from? I have been topping my take with salt water is this a problem?:thumbup:

11. crispin

crispin

hello and welcome to masa :)

12. crispin

crispin

why not take us through yopur set up a little, as in how big is it, what equipment do you have and do you have any fish and corals yet?

do you test at all, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and salt in particular?

if you test salt what do you use, a refractometer or a hydrometer and what is the salt content of the tank at the moment?

RO water is basically (in very simplified terms) filtered water through a reverse osmosis process that gives us clean water as a base to use in our aquariums. Its a basic ingrediant in my view.

with salt water tanks, evaporation occurs, leading to water leaving the aquarium and salt staying behind. as a result we need to top the levels back up again. As only water leaves if yopu top up with salt water you will be increasing the salt content of the aquarium all the time and very soon it will be too high for the live stock in your tank. Simply put ONLY USE RO WATER to top up and only use RO water as the base to which you add salt in order to do a water change.

hope that helps?

13. Meneer

Meneer

Welcome to MASA....

14. GWA

GWA Thread Starter

Thanks Crispin
    This RO water is it the same as mineral water that you can buy from your local pick n pay? My tank is 1.700 m x 500 x 500 +- I have a few fish and rock but no corals yet. As far as equipment goes I have a power head circulating the water, a protein skimmer , heater ,reverse flow under gravel filter ,and a sump under my main tank with 3 compartments through which the water from my main tank over flows into and is pumped back to the main tank and all the lighting in the canopy. If buy any chance you have any corals that is over crowding your tank I am in JHB and will be more the then willing to relieve you of it.

15. crispin

crispin

its great that youve joined masa as i think the guys on here will be able to help you alot.

thats a great sized tank, i have a similar sized one myself, although i think you will need to read through a number of tank threads on here and see what members do to keep the water clean with regards to their sumps and equipment:) Also as you are in jhb id sugest joining a reef club meet or getting hold of a friendly reefer in jhb (there are some great reefers in jhb and good meetings too :)) and go see what they do and WHY. it will realy help you and your tank.

as to RO water. get yourself a decent RO unit (idol marine would be the best bet i think in jhb) to be able to make your own RO water. with a tank that size its essencial i think.

16. crispin

crispin

very kind of you, will you pay shipping for my aptasia?:p oh im in norway;)

17. GWA

GWA Thread Starter

Thanks for that Norway a bit far but I am sure that when the local guys see my cry for help they will respond

18. maxisoft

maxisoft

Hi Bud, if you are having issues with R/o water and how it works, it seems you need a lot of help BEFORE you put any livestock in your tank... I would suggest you check out the beginner discussions, understand and ask many questions, cause no question is a dumb question. We all started the same way...

However, we do not part with excess corals, frags, etc to see them die in an un-cycled tank. ;)

Also, we are all pic-a-holics.... and would love to see your setup so far...:thumbup:

Recent Posts