Vinegar for Aiptasia control

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RiaanP, 8 Jan 2012.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Anybody else tried that? Lemon juice being a low PH being used, I thought why not, vinegar is even lower and also a natural product. And I tried it.

I also have another colony type of anemone taking over one big rock. Small green type, green centre with pinkish tentacles. Works on them too, like in immediate. Found 3 Mojano's. Well, they are gone.

Inject them with needle, but you must get into the body. They just dissolve and easily comes of the rock, unless they are in a deep crevice. Better and faster than Aiptasia-X. But Aiptasia-X does stun them, stopping them from retracting. Well, I just blow them up from the inside.

But be extremely careful. Vinegar is just another form of carbon dosing. Just like Vodka or sugar. So you cannot go and nuke each and every last Aiptasia in your tank.
    Only .1ml per 100L total system volume.

BUT FIRST READ THIS LINK
    Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. marsbrat

marsbrat

I just hit mine with lemon juice! Will try vinegar next time! Was it white wine vinegar or grape?

PS anyone throughing vodka in their tank please come see me!

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

SPAR white vinegar.

Use vinegar instead of vodka to do dosing. I'm currently on 8ml per day.

5. devesh.r

devesh.r

Do you take the rock out the tank and do this or do it in the tank.and do you have to use a needle.

6. RiaanP

In the tank. Injection with needle. Just have to watch out, One day I'm going to stab myself.

7. Sheena

Sheena

had aiptasia on rock next to toadstool, so i chiped it right off! that worked:)

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

Mmf carbon dosing and killing aptasia all at once!(vinegar) just dont kil too many in one day or you may have a bacteria bloom of note and lose livestock as a result. if you plan to do many. do a waterchange an hour or so after using vinegar

9. RiaanP

yes, you cannot go on a killing spree.

Only .1ml per 100L water.

My setup, total water volume is just over 800L. Rather err to the lesser volume
    So only doing 8ml per day for first 3 days. Then double up to 16ml for next 4 days. Then add .5ml per week thereafter until you see a reduction in PO4 and NO3. Then halve the dosage until you see it stable. If increase add .5ml again, else subtract .5ml if there is a reduction. Until you find the balance point.

10. shaunn

shaunn

were do u buy an injection needle? i can get the saringe but not the needle?

11. noddyric

noddyric

I tried both vingar and lemon juice.

I had bad luck with vinegar. injected them right into the stem. the aptasia died a few hours later, but WAM they came back in force in the following weeks. each time i would nuke with vinger i would get an outbreak.

Switched to nuking them with pure lemon juice right into the stem. they shrivel up and pop of the rock dead after a few hours. NO more aptasia at all in my tank now

12. RiaanP

pharmacy.

With any chemical warfare against Aiptasia. If they are not dead, like in 200% dead. Then they will be back. I did try (long ago) lemon juice, also Aiptasia-X. You have to be sure that you will kill it.

I'm only doing the big ones. The peppermint shrimps take care of the small ones.

13. rakabos

rakabos

Pharmacies like dischem dont sell injection needles. Try a hospital pharmacy perhaps?

14. shaunn

shaunn

my pepperment does not seam to be eating the aiptasia any thing i can do to help him along

15. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

get him 2 or 3 buddies to help him along..

16. rakabos

rakabos

Are you guys sure peppermints dont eat other corals??? I had a colony of bali polyps dissapear in a few days after adding 2 peps. So i dont think its as safe as people make it out to be. Now i just nuke em with aiptasia X once a month as part of my normal routine

17. eddiead

eddiead

Vinegar brought to the boil in the microwave worked great for me.

18. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

Also found this to work best for me.

19. Mewik

Mewik

I have used water with a hell of a high salt content to get rid of them, sometimes they come back after a week, if they do I just dose them again and they don't tend to recover after that. Least you can take out a large number without changing your params much that way.

20. Tremayn

Tremayn

killing aiptasia is an art!

21. magman

magman

Whenever I got get something new, I would put it at the front of the DT, and moniter it for aipitasia, if there was aipitasia, I would note where on the LR it is, then take the LR out and with a syringe with some vodka in, I would put a few drops of vodka on the aipitasia, it basically becomes a ball of slime, turn the rock over and a drop or two of the aiptasia slime would fall off, then rinse the LR in a tub of tank water to get rid of any spores.

The thing is to only use a few drops on the aipitasia, and try not to drip anywhere else as you will kill anything a drop of vodka lands on. It's lakka watching them turn to slime and then drip off:lol:

Recent Posts