Village unites to rescue fish from contaminated lake

belindamotion

Google Master
Reaction score
recreational fishing in the UK is huge, some of the larger fish sell for thousands of £ and organised gangs actually steal prize carp to sell on the black market across Europe. The angling industry in the UK makes more money than golf as a recreational sport. Its quite amazing how well they respect and take care of the fish over there, sadly here our nature folks prefer to dump chemicals into our lakes to exterminate what they deem an invasive species, rather than learning to manage and profit from them.

recreational fishing in the UK is huge, some of the larger fish sell for thousands of £ and organised gangs actually steal prize carp to sell on the black market across Europe. The angling industry in the UK makes more money than golf as a recreational sport. Its quite amazing how well they respect and take care of the fish over there, sadly here our nature folks prefer to dump chemicals into our lakes to exterminate what they deem an invasive species, rather than learning to manage and profit from them.

Not everything is about profit. Invasive predators like trout wipe out all small indigenous fish to the point where a lot of species are extinct in the wild. It's like going to a nature reserve and saying "Oh well, all those silly antelope and zebra are dead, but lets make some money off of these bears!" If there is nothing indigenous left alive in a river system then you might as well wipe the slate clean and reintroduce the original inhabitants that were killed by human stupidity.

In Europe they manage carp well because they're a native species.

Removing trout from streams I get, they demolish the local fish stocks and so on. The problem for me is when they build an artificial waterway, which they introduce carp to, then they decide to kill them all off with chemicals because they make the water look brown due to their feeding habits.

I suppose though if they allow artificial systems to stock foreign fish the problem comes in when some idiots decide to take the fish and dump them into a healthy natural system.

It could work if regulated and managed correctly, but that all costs a lot of money I guess. Most I've ever paid to go fishing was R30 entry and the fee for a licence, so its not exactly a gold mine.

Not everything is about profit. Invasive predators like trout wipe out all small indigenous fish to the point where a lot of species are extinct in the wild. It's like going to a nature reserve and saying "Oh well, all those silly antelope and zebra are dead, but lets make some money off of these bears!" If there is nothing indigenous left alive in a river system then you might as well wipe the slate clean and reintroduce the original inhabitants that were killed by human stupidity.

In Europe they manage carp well because they're a native species.

ooh this is a touchy subject...

The use of Rotenone in a river system to "wipe the slate clean" also kills the mystery of the river.
Hard to put into words, but it's this "mystery" that sparks the passion of many ichtyologists/limnologists.(in my opinion).

Back
Top Bottom