Vetches Reef development

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by leslie hempel, 8 Mar 2009.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

guys i have just seen a segment concerning the construction of Vetches reef advertised on carte Blanch.. some of you may already know that they are demolishing North pier and their intention is to reserect veches to extend the marina area..

unfortunatley it will impact alot of things.. watch carte blannce on now to see full story..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

mods please edit title Vetches Reef Development..

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

OK - done Leslie. This is actually TERRIBLE. Didn't these people do an ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STUDY before deciding this?

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Going have to drag the Durbanites kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Look what the V&A has done for CPT.

Get all the BS out the way and get the development done, does any one understand the huge international money this will attract.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL! You always the Capitalist, hey ;)! What about the beloved Vetchie's Pier reef hosting hundreds of thousands of fish, and corals and inverts? This will "dissappear" - like those at the NORTH PIER......

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Well it is man-made, and by the looks of the huge sea barrier they building I am sure sealife will takeover there.

I just think that Durban has so much to offer if they get these developments right.

Unfortunately Durban, doesn't have a mountain, Gold or BIG game, so use a small section of your coastline and employ thousands of people

8. leslie hempel

agreed that the ocean inhabitants will restore themselves sooner or later but the other watersports that will suffer are also to be considered.. not to mention that the rate payers money is being used to evict the very person paying against their will.. i personally would like to see the development as i agree it is a drawcard but only if it is ethically persued and takes all parties into account.. including the enviroment..

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Totally agree Leslie

10. lIghty

lIghty

I think its a load of BS, who is going to benefit from it? Me? Right. you think anyone will be allowed to snorkle there again, fat chance of that, they just going to tell you, "go pay your R250 and snorkle in uShaka. only people that will be able to afford it are the tourists, not the local! Its a joke, it all about whos got there hands in it.

and it can't be compared to VNA in CT, how would people in CT like to have a harbour built in Camps bay?

ITS ALL ABOUT SOMEONE LINNING THERE POCKETS.

just m2c.....

11. leslie hempel

the one issue that was really interesting is that hey claim to own the "submersed land" how they got to this in inconclusive but it has since been gazetted (apparently dont quote me this is "hear-say"). that no submersed land can be procured for any other purpose than security reasons tus protecting current and future ocean users alike..

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Vetch's maybe man made but it has been around since the 1860's, when Captain James Vetch attempted to build a breakwater. So it is a part of Durban history. The Kruger National Park was only established in 1898. So i say get rid of the park first as it is no as old.:whistling:

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

It stills comes down to that Durban has nothing to offer international tourists.

Look what CPT is doing with the business they get from overseas. There are businesses that only cater for the foreigners. You Durban boys need to take your finger out and sort out your.... You have the whether and the beaches but still more tourists go to Johannesburg than Durban, doesn't make sense.

PS: Don't think you can compare Camps Bay to Vetches, as there are loads of small vessel docking facilities all around CPT and False Bay.

14. lIghty

lIghty

EXACTLY MY POINT! Durban already has at least 3 other small vessel docking facilities. Why build another for the rich and famous at the expense of our beautiful coastline?

15. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Sorry but what is a place to park boats going to offer International Tourists.
    The building of the V&A did not destroy a beach and a reef etc.

16. Warr7207

Warr7207

Cause rich and famous people spend money which your part of the world needs desperately.

17. lIghty

lIghty

Good point! If i'm correct, they used old infrastructure

Think we will survive;)

18. Warr7207

Warr7207

Shaun you make it sound like Durban has no other beaches,if I remember correctly, the last time I was down in Durban, we must have gone to 6 or 7 different beaches North and South of Veggies.

Also this beach is not a tourist spot at all, it seems to be more of a fisherman/boater's spot.

Regards the reef, well it is a man-made reef so it not like they taking something out the sea that has been there for thousands of years.

Guys don't take the discussion personally, but this is one of the big reasons people and companies leave Durban and rather invest elsewhere. If you don't have major infrastructure projects like this you don't attract investment locally or foreign based.

I think it's great that you guys are thinking of the environment, but seriously this is a small part of the Durban beachfront. I am sure the harbour has way more of an impact on the environment than this little dock.

I personally would love to live in Durban again, but the amount of red tape to do any business in this City is insane.

19. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I wonder where the majority of varlies go on holiday?

Wait a min, they come down our way, is that because Durban has nothing to offer.:whistling:

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

Weird I haven't gone to Durban on Holiday for 6 years :whistling:

Moz is way better :)

But you could have a big chuck of the $$ paying foreigners who all skip Durban and go straight from CPT to Kruger

21. lIghty

lIghty

But Warr, what does this boil down to - MONEY, us oke in Durban are not money hungry and want to drive BMW X5's and suites to work, us okes are happy with what we got.

Why can't they build it inside the currect harbour?

Recent Posts