very simple float/water level switch

Reaction score
what you need:

1. a micro switch with level arm. like this one
160949a4662b3adcd.jpg

2. some 316 grade stainless sheet 1mm thick or thread bar etc.
3. something that floates like ping pong balls or somthing. i like using the modern toilet cistern floats, the really tiny ones.and thats all.

then do this:)

the red is the added stainless steel strips or bar. i just cut stainless sheet into thin strips and bent it like that:thumbup:

160949a468640dbcf.jpg

iv used these in many projects of mine and the work great. the micro switches have a normally open and normally closed and can control 250v 4A. i personally wouldnt put 220v near my tank like that. let it rather switch 12v to control a relay to switch 220v.need any help on that, just ask:)

i used them on my scrubbers sump before a went electronic. i relied on these things to make sure my lounge stayed dry:) they worked great!

Nice idea. I would just check if that switch will handle the salt creep

Be careful, unless you got marine grade stainless, it could rust, you really don't want rusty metal in the water, it kills corals.

Be careful, unless you got marine grade stainless, it could rust, you really don't want rusty metal in the water, it kills corals.

Personal opinion here, I think the risk is too great. But if one can manage to get one without the problem of rust, etc. then by all means, it should work! :)

i dont think rust is a problem at all. its 316 grade stainless which is the best you can get and it doesnt come into contact with the water.

amalick, dont get me wrong those are great switches :thumbup: i use them to:)

going to be posting a diy for how to make those for cheap:)

i bought a all plastic toilet float switch, no electric parts, no metal :)

but the best was a float switch like amalick

amalick do you use a relay with that type of floatswitch because i had one and i think it burnt out i had it setup on the plug supplying the pumps , it worked for a while couple of months then stopped , i didnt use a relay and think the amps burnt it out?

good diy brett, i was after plans to build one months ago, where were you then?;) we need to figure out how to bend acrylic from sheets into cylinders like we saw mate, when you figure it out give me a call;)
Posted via Mobile Device

amalick do you use a relay with that type of floatswitch because i had one and i think it burnt out i had it setup on the plug supplying the pumps , it worked for a while couple of months then stopped , i didnt use a relay and think the amps burnt it out?

its better to use a relay, get much longer life. its mosly the high voltage that messes up the switch because of arcing at the contacts. although the switch is rated for 250v at 3A, if its switching 12v. it will last much longer. but you dont have to use a relay :)

Brett excellent mate

thanks bud :)

good diy brett, i was after plans to build one months ago, where were you then?;) we need to figure out how to bend acrylic from sheets into cylinders like we saw mate, when you figure it out give me a call;)
Posted via Mobile Device

to be honest it is easier just to buy the magnetic ones from electro mechanica. i just put this diy up for those who dont have access to a shop like that and need a float switch.

haha iv done it before :) not long tubes though, i think trying to make a long tube is a bit harder. but to bend and fuse that stuff its easy.

Hey Scuba,
keep us updated with your new skimmer plans and if you come right with rolling and fusing that perspex sheet into tubes. I am keen on getting a bigger tube for a bigger skimmer too.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom