Very difficult or not possible??

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Werner B, 8 Jun 2010.

1. Werner B

Werner B

Hi, my name is Werner and I'm the Chief Engineer at the Zamani Kempinski Resort in Zanzibar.

We have decided to build a saltwater Aquarium...a big one....12.2 m3 (4.5m long x 1.9 high x 1.6m wide)

Of course we have very little experience of how to go about such a project. We know where to get the enormeous glass plates from....how to build the aquarium together...but all the equipment needed to operate such a big aquarium we dont know!!

Is there anybody out there with experience building/operating such a monster???

Looking forward to any suggestions!!!!!

Werner

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Werner, welcome to MASA, glad you joined. I deleted you other thread as it is a duplicate. Let's wait for the BIG tank builders to give their input.
    Glyn Forman built a huge tank, will see if I can find the link for you.

4. crispin

crispin

sounds like a fantastic project:)

what do you aim to keep in the tank, fish only or are you looking at corals too? that depth the light penetration may make corals difficult unless in the upper areas and or using sun light which you would have in abundance.

I personally would contact the curators of large public aquariums and see what equipment they utilise.

5. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome:thumbup: sounds awesome;)

6. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Werner! Great to have you on-board!

And this seems to be a FANTASTIC project you are embarking on!

Yeah - well - where to find glass in Zanzibar MIGHT be a tough one. You might need to have it "shipped in" from SA.....

BUT, w.r.t the design and the workings of the tank, you have come to the right place!

There are a FEW okes here in SA that actually have that sized tanks in their homes! ;)

8. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome !!

just my 2c worth, but that height is going to give you nightmares ...... the cost will be hectic because you will have to get something like 50 or 60mm thick glass to cope with the pressure ..... i would look at something like 1m max it will be infinately more build-able

9. Dolphin

Dolphin

awesome project you have there!

Acryllic will be the safer and possibly cheaper option to go for with this size of tank

10. Trev

Trev

I agree with Neil on that one I would go max 1.2m and then slightly longer, there are Industrial built skimmers and pumps that you should consider they also cost a lot less than the really big one that the shops stock, I may be able to provide you with some details if you need them

11. Werner B

Werner B Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies so far...but some 'higher' forces have already made up their minds re the size of the aquarium. Now I have to find solutions.
    I talked to some SA and Kenyan glass manufacturers but apparently they can only make up to 3m lenght plates. Now I've have found a glass manufacturer in Holland that produces such large glass plates and they calculate the thickness as we speak.

I have been advised that the water of our coast is not suitable...so synthetic is required. Also as there are many restrictions here what can be taken out of the water (coral, fish etc)...I guess we will get most from SA!

As the aquarium will be the 'centre of attention' in our main building, what's going to be in it must have that famous WOW effect !! In otherwords amazing!?!?!

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

With an unlimted budget anything is possible to get the wow factor.

13. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

honestly with 1.9 meter you will need extreme lighting that will cost a fortune or you will need to use a skylight, you might want to not have the full tank glass and have some of it in concrete with big viewing panes.

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Werner - what was the reasons given, that the water off your coast is not suitable to use? There are MANY ways to "skin a cat", mate! Including "prefiltering" and "pre-paring" the seawater for use in a marine aquarium.

BTW: What is the end goal of this tank? Fish only? Reef tank? Some soft-corals and fish? Or fully blown SPS corals, LPS corals, soft-corals and a lot of fish?

15. Russell1986

Russell1986

16. Werner B

Werner B Thread Starter

jaques! Apparently the water is full of phosphates and can generate algeas!?
    I guess it should have beautiful fish, life rocks and some anemone etc (what ever is willing to peacefully live in it)...and suitable for a tank that size.

17. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

i would stay away from anemones, lots of soft corals and lps and maybe a few plating sps.

18. PeterL

PeterL

i think some people are missing the point, if they can afford the glass to be manufactured specifically and shipped from Holland for the project, the cost of lighting is not a problem.

From his response, it is clear to me that our pro's need to step up to offer advice as how to achieve this awesome reef setup. Talking in scronyms like LPS and SPS and the rest of it when he is clearly uncertain of what it all means...someone needs to provide the guidance he requires and is requesting.

19. PeterL

PeterL

This is a monster tank and understand the hesitance in MASA is not accustom to monster tanks like this one...

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Did they allocate a budget to you. Or is the sky the limit. :)

Just a question. Is the height, the distanse from floor to ceiling (or close to ceiling)

Will you walk past the tank like in a atrium area, or is it in a seating area like a lounge.

If you walk past, Then you can easily and more cost saving raise the floor, so that the viewing panel becomes less in height, around 1,2m. That will help with the coral selection. As light penetration will be useless if deeper. Also lower viewing pane will be thinner. And I do not have to bend down on my knees to look at the interesting hermit walking on the substrate.

The floor it will be built on. Is it re-inforced. As this tank surely will be extremely heavy. So most probably the floor anyway must be rebuild, and then you have the option to install bottom drains etc, will you raise the floor a bit.

But check out Glynn Formans build. That is (in my mind) what you want to achieve.

21. seank

seank

I would say that you need to speak to Millipora, as he maintains huge tanks such as the one you are going to build. Glass wise, I would opt for Acrylic, much lighter to transport,easier to get wrt thickness, etc etc.

Drop Millipora (Andrew- Eco Aquatics) a pm as I am sure he would be able to help you wrt plumbing, skimmers, pump sizes etc- He have the experience in such large tanks

Recent Posts