Vertex Illumilux or fools rush in...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by fanienel, 9 Aug 2013.

1. fanienel

fanienel

Hi Guys

I have a 120x50x60 tank a couple of softies and a torch. I intend keeping LPS and eventually a SPS or two. I got a pair of Vertex Illumiluxes (900mm) last week to replace Odesea T5's.

They seem (to my eyes at least) dimmer than the T5's.

Do you think there is enough light for what I want to do and if not:
    • Add another Illumulux
    • Augment the Illuiluxes with another LED light ie a Kessel or the small Maxspext

Any advice is appreciated
    Fanie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintin

Quintin

I had four of those lights over my "frag tank" that later turned into my pony tank.
    The tank was 900x900x500 and with 4 of those units I could keep any type of coral under the sun in that tank...

So two of those lights over a tank of your size should be more than enough...

tank.jpg

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

This is a common "problem" when people switch to LED and they notice that the LEDs seem dimmer than their previous setup. The reason for this is that the previous T5 or halide setup emitted some light in the red/green spectrum which our eyes can see and it then visually appears brighter. With LEDs the spectrum is very focused and there is no red or green in that spectrum.

Red and green is of very little use to corals so the PAR/PUR that you will get from the LEDs are more/ or perhaps the same as with the previous lighting setups.

So don't worry about it for now. You will more than likely find that your corals are perfectly happy under your "dimmer" LEDs. If you later find that the corals are not showing signs of growth or colour that is to your liking, you can add some more light.

5. fanienel

fanienel Thread Starter

Thanks Guys .... i'm more relaxed now!

Recent Posts