Verification?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Wetty, 15 Sep 2008.

1. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

A few stories i heard this weekend...just wana verify is its possible. Sounds a bit extreme and psycho to me...

A guy I spoke to on saturday says that he uses rough bricks, esp Mampara bricks instead of live rock, says its porous enuff and much cheaper to buy...plus it seeds well.

Also says he uses bonaqua bottled water ( no flavours or gas...just still plain water) instead of RO water....says its cheaper and just as pure. He hasnt bought an RO unit...and doesnt buy RO water.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I've seen bricks being used as a base for a tank and then covered with LR but not just bricks.

4. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Hvae heard about bricks before...But there is one big factor though. They affect your pH. They have to be cured for a while before you cna use them...
    I dunno about the looks though in DT, maybe good for sump...

Can't think that bottled water is cheaper... RO units are like R1500 and can produce 180 l per day..
    Besides you can't really trust bottled water unless you sure of the origin. I've done microbiology tests on bottled water before and the results were shocking.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I'll comment on the water side: I tested some of these bottled water, I'm not gonna mention any names of what TDS reading each one has. Some say on the bottle it has a TDS of 91 for example. Others gave a TDS of 150!!!!!!
    I regularly test my RO/DI water and it gives me a reading of 0 ;)

I paid R1400 for my RO machine and it is definitely worth it - you'll get your money back later on, where he still has to go buy his bottled water. So take it like this: It is the price of the bottled water + the petrol to go fetch it VS the comfort of your home by opening your RO tap and the ease of mind that you're using the correct stuff :thumbup:

On the brick side - I don't see bricks in the ocean on the reefs, do you? :p

6. IMarine

IMarine

Bricks :nono: bottled water as Tobes said tds is way to high

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Bottled water will always have a tds reading, unless it is bottled distilled water.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On the brick side,
    A common known trick to save water at home is to place a brick in the sistern of the toilet. That way you are then supposed to use slightly less water everytime you flushed. But over time the brick became soft and will crumble, resulting in small parts getting into the seal, and you will have a toilet running continiously. Until you open it up, cursed yourself, and remove your now very soft and crumbling brick.
    Just like a rusk.

9. Wetty

Wetty Thread Starter Rockford Fosgate Fish

Fanx guys.....did sound dodgy to me

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

bonaqua bottled water is indeed RO water....

11. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

The bricks cant look good

12. Andreas

Andreas

It will work nicely in your sump but you would probably have to suspend it so that no detritus builds up.

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

The "mamparra" cement bricks is quite popular in the US. They use it as base rock. Riaan - if mamparra bricks crumbled in a toilet cistern - how the heck does +-25 million houses stand after huge rain storms? And after repeated rain storms...

Cement actually becomes stronger from water...... The more water cement gets, the stronger it becomes..... BUT - as lappies said - cement has a VERY high pH, therefore the curing process.....

The cement bricks are not a problem - as Thalion says - it is just "unnatural". If you don't mind unnatural, then cool.... go ahead.....
    BUT, there are currently projects going on where cement structures are being implemented as synthetic reefs, in our wonderful seas - in order to try and rehabilitate the reefs of our oceans.... as are metal structures being utilized for the same job..... ie. ships, purpose made metal structures, etc...
    And not even to talk about the amount of rubber/tyres that are dumped in order to "create man-made reefs".... tyres contains metal wiring as well.....

Sooo..... with the sea having a HUGE body of water, it seems that these things are forgivable in our oceans...... BUT - in our tiny little water volumes we call our "slices of the ocean" (in our living rooms, bedrooms etc), these things could have a bigger impact.....

BTW: TDS does not always only refer to high POC content of the water, neither to high DOC content.... it could also refer to high calcium, etc as well.....

And yes Henk - some companies who does still bottled water actually uses "Standard" government supplied water which is indeed filtered through a RO machine. BUT most likely NOT a DI unit as well.....
    So - yes - Reverse Osmosis filtered - but not de-ionized.....

14. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

the red clay brick does "melt" away when exposed to rain etc. but this doesnt happen to each one only the few that didnt get as much heat in the baking proces (so i`m told) the clay brick with the purple coloration is much harder and wont "disolve". I have seen the clay bricks start to degrade if the wall stood bare for some time without plaster.

15. jacquesb

Singularity - cool - I too have seen clay bricks become slightly brittle (the outer edges that are exposed - not the inside part though). My dad have been in construction for the past 17 years....
    Sean K and Ben can agrre (or not) - cement mamparra's are only brittle when thrown by our fellow labouring countryman - BUT NOT WHEN YOU BUILD WITH IT....
    BUT, that said - cement becomes stronger when it comes into contact with water.....
    I suppose it depends on the grade and quality of the cement mamparra bricks....
    Bricks are generally rated on how many MEGAPASCALs pressure they can handle (MPa)..... this is quite HUGE....

16. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

there is a difrence between clay bricks and cement bricks, like i said its only a few from say 10 000 but those u that do degrade u can break apart with your finger, i will find some of those on the site we are busy on now and post a couple of pics, i have to say that these are from a local clay brick supplier, berts bricks dont know if you have heard of them.

17. jacquesb

No Singularity - I have never heard of the brick supplier..... My dad mostly only deals with either Corobrick or Crammix.....

18. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

What about those ash bricks, don't know the real name but the are made from ash and cement.

19. jacquesb

Never heard of them Thalion. What did you hear about them? Do people actually use this to build with?
    I wonder what will ash do to one's tank water? Increase pH as well?

20. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I think they may also be called Maxi bricks, made from the ash left over from the coal power stations.

21. jacquesb

I know about Maxi bricks.... just never know anything of ashes as content ;-)

Not impossible though....

Recent Posts