Velvet Damsel

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I wonder if any of you have experienced the same problem with a Blue Velvet Damsel that I have. I bought this fish +/- 10 months ago and he has now grown to about 8cm in size. I have a display tank of +/- 370 litres with crushed coral on the bottom of about 5-10mm in size.
The problem that I have with the fish is that he burrows away the coral under the live rock which causes the LR to move. Sometimes he picks up pieces of coral in his mouth and the spits it out over the LR so you can imagine what it looks like.

Perhaps the fish has reached sexual maturity? It is quite possible that the damsel is trying to create a "safe sleeping spot" for himself.

BUT - now that I thnk about it - I actually saw similar behaviour from my blue devil damsel as well (it died December 2007 unfortunately)...... I think this might be exactly THAT.....

Perhaps the fish has reached sexual maturity? It is quite possible that the damsel is trying to create a "safe sleeping spot" for himself.

BUT - now that I thnk about it - I actually saw similar behaviour from my blue devil damsel as well (it died December 2007 unfortunately)...... I think this might be exactly THAT.....

That is probably the answer because he has burrowed under the LR and has made himself a sort of cave. My fish actually looks just like pictures of the one that was in your tank.

Yeah - was an awesome fish that.... unfortunately lost it when I had a major whitespot breakout in my tank in December 2007.... together with the other damsels and 3 of my clown fish....

Now I have lost nearly all my fish again... :-(

just a question off topic.......what did you do whene you had the outbreak of ich did you just let it run its course??

Yeah Jacques I was very sorry to here about that.

By the way the seafood cocktail recipe you gave me certainly has helped as I feed my sun coral every Sunday afternoon and it is now starting to make new little polyps. Many thanks therefore.

Back
Top Bottom