Urgent help needed Velvet and Cure?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Handy, 12 Oct 2014.

1. Handy

Handy

Hi all
    I have been fighting a velvet outbreak for over a month now and it is about to win the battle. i have tried a hospital tank with Cupramine and paraguard with no luck.

Any suggestions at this point will be greatly appreciated as i am loosing all my prize fish that i have had for the last 5 years

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. weezle

weezle

Sorry to hear about all your losses
    I would try the bucket method treat your fish as if they have WS do a water change on each bucket Dailey
    Keep 1 fish per bucket as some fish might heal faster than others and you don't want to promote reinfection
    Add prime to the buckets after water changes.
    The only other thing you can do is add garlick guard to the fishes food and hope for the best.
    You can also try something like coopremine but just be careful some fish are sensitive to copper based
    Medications.
    How many fish do you have and what kind are they?

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I don't think copper will kill velvet. Have you tried formalin baths?

5. Handy

Handy Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm going to buy malaria pills today as that should remove the velvet.
    I've tried all the above except formalin baths. Velvet is a terrible pest

6. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Formalin might work, but you need to be careful with it. I've only used it once many many many moons ago. Think @carlosdeandrade might have some insight on how to use properly

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

It's in your tank. You can treat until pigs fly, but ALL fish need to be removed and then treated (is this what you have been doing?), leave tank without stock for SIX weeks.
    It's a dinoflagellate. Copper is the best treatment, formalin baths are very risky and IT KILLS EVERYTHING!
    In your hospital tank, you can't use formalin, use it as a bath. The best is to get some safety stop and dip everyday, ADD EXTRA bacteria, get at a LFS. (Link: Safety Stop from BlueLife USA is the first dip for reef fish providing )
    Unfortunately, it looks like you will need a a few different treatment regimes and TIME.
    Hoping you come right.

Handy likes this.
  8. Handy

Handy Thread Starter

Thanks @carlosdeandrade
    I have just bought malari pills will Chloroquine in and formalin for the baths. I have removed the fish into a hospital tank and treating them their. I am breaking down my tank and going to nuke the whole system and start from scratch. Rock , sand, etc etc.

What a ugly disease this is

9. flappy

flappy

I would not try formalin. Too risky for the fish....esp in their weak state...copper will need to be kept constantly at a dose that is in the kill zone and even if you get this right...the fish could be reinfected once returned to the display...also copper is heavy on the fish ito HLLE and general well being...rather try the bucket method to break the life cycle of the parasite....I also would start over in your display with new substrate, water...everything.....that means empty your tank including your sump of EVERYTHING...and dry it out..cysts can live unhatched in the substrate for weeks...this is why Im saying start over...don't forget the bacteria in a bottle when you start up again....good luck...

10. Handy

Handy Thread Starter

Hi Flappy

I agree , formalin will be the very last resort. As we speak i am removing everything from the tank, i will be running tap water for a day or two and then a vinegar mixture just to make sure. New sand, dried and bleached rock. New water etc etc etc. I am going fish only in the new system

11. flappy

flappy

Shot...good luck

Recent Posts