Vatso - New Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 17 Feb 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

Hi all

I have not said anything about a new tank I have been wanting!!

I have had a look at a few tanks & have now decided to go a little bigger.

as you know I have been in contact with Idol Marine lots, Rob had a tank we spoke about & today I have decided 100% to buy it! we are just working the details out on how to change the tank slightly. I don't like posting before paying but that I will take care of the end of the month!!

it's a 1.1m X 1.1m x 700 high Cube the sump as the top 1M x 1M Cube in total there will be about 900Ltrs or so of water!!!!

I am really looking forward to this new tank, I am going to take my time in getting it up & running will buy bits when I can afford them - I am thinking I will be and & running in about 4 months or so!

I am going to use a 400W MH light on the main display & then use my T5's for the sump & more color if needed.

Going to have a huge DSB - will be nearly the same size as the display tank.

Now the fun of deciding how to scape starts :)

Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Awesome size tank Mark!
    I had a 1m*1m*600h cube. Use to be a lekker size.

4. Suhayl

Suhayl

Nice size tank man.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

That's a nice size tank Vatso, just save up now already for a decent skimmer rated at 2000l
    Also make sure where you put the tank that the floor can hold the more than 1 ton weight - closer to 1,5 ton if you take LR and the glass and stand into consideration ;)

6. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

I dated a girl once that was 1.5 tons LOL - Only Playing :)

I want to take my time - I am lucky as I already have a tank running so now need to rush!! He says knowing how bad he can be :(

I want to try create a coral island of sorts where fish have lots of space to swim around or does one make a reef go from corner to corner? I am going to have to see & play I want some open space in the tank.

7. crispin

crispin

i spoke to rob the other day and he mentioned you were looking at getting a new tank which is great news. especially for the naso you have in that small tank.

please do take into account what a number of people are telling you on masa with regards the speed at which it takes before you stock LS, and which is appropriate LS to stock at which stage. Granted you like to experiment with LS, and do with your tank as you wish to do, although you will have registered that a number of reefers raise more than eyebrows at this.

Putting up a bigger tank is a great step forward but be careful of the speed it takes to stabilase and be ready for the LR you want to keep. I have the impression that it takes longer than you realise, although i openly state thats my personal impressions based on the way you have kept your tank thus far.

8. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

The benefit I have now is there is no rush to put things in - I want to take my time - My current tank is betting better every day & I will have enough time before I need to move the Fish & corals across.

My idea is to run just the tank with nothing in it no sand or rocks - just the sump DSB - let it cycle for a few weeks.

& then move the fish across so that I can get rid of any itch the fish might have not that they do. be safe then sorry!! if the fish did have itch could it move into the DSB?

and then moving some of the live rock that already is in my current tank across. If I move my live rock from one tank to another there should be no cycle needed? I will then cure all fish & live rock in the old tank before moving to the new tank!

I want to make sure the new system is as safe as possible.

Mark

9. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

An update just purchased a 250W electronic ballast for my new tank & am going to use an Idol Marine Skimmer :)

I hope the tank will be ready by the end of March - so I can start the cycle - I will be travelling for 2 weeks in SA & the UK.

what globe should I get? I want a white light rather then blue will use my T5's to give blue color to the tank.

not sure if I should run a DSB?? thinking rather put Live Rock & some plants in the sump with a scrubber

10. seank

seank

10000 Calvin will be fine Vatso. Btw, how far is the UK from Norway? :p :lol:

11. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

LOL not far enough in fact SA & Norway seem to close

thanks will get the globe when the tank is ready!

The tank is going to not have pumps where fish or other stock can get to them! I am going to use jet flow pump protected by glass for circulation will be using 4 pumps

I am really looking forward to setting up this tank & knowing nothing can get killed in a pump.

what cleaner crew can should I keep? I am not a huge fan of snails what do they do besides cleaning the glass?

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

I LOLed !

13. maj

maj

goodluck with the new setup,im sure the fish will njoy the bigger tank

14. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

pic's soon :)

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On a cube, a "normal" sump layout is a mission. Do not work out and DSB turns out to be too small. Reason I say this is skimmer compartment minimum will be 350mm. To be able to place your skimmer in it. (Depending on what skimmer you decided on.)
    Return chamber will be at least 150, more likely 200mm, to get return and other chemical reactors in there.
    So that leaves you with max 450mm length for DSB.
    Width, well that depends if you can reach sump from 3 sides. If yes you can go all the way, 1m wide DSB. Else you will get some problems reaching the back. Also reaching and accessing any components, like reactors.

Else if you place DSB as the back 500mm of sump full length of 1m, With external skimmer and external return pumps in front part of the sump area. All other reactors also in the front part. With skimmer entering DSB in a small chamber and small chaber other side the return pump sucks out. That might work.
    But you will again have the same reach isues to get to DSB if you have to if sump area cannot be reached from all 3 sides.

And I seriously doubt if you will be able to fit an alge scubber. Maybe if it hangs over DSB, and drops down into DSB. But then make sure that there are some distribution plate under the scrubber, (2 or 3cm under water) or else you will blow the sand away under it. And again, you should be able to reach it.

Maybe first draw your design on Google Sketchup. Just basic drawing. And put the stuff in sump area where they should be. And see yourself. I know this. Wanted to build a 900mm cube. And nothing fits normal. Just not enough reachable space.

16. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

RiaanP you make a great point

I will take some pics today of the tank & sump & then maybe you can give some ideas.

The DSB would be square & not long as such.

the sump is the same foot print as the display tank

I will use sketch up & decide based on that

Mark

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just remember, the DSB MUST be as big as possible. The footprint, not talking about the depth part. Too small, and you will be wasting your time.

And lengthwise, you have 1m. Not a lot actually. Width is ok. So you can get away with a short but wide DSB. But then all the reactos and pumps will be both sides in rather long (from front to back) chambers. And again, if you cannot get to the equiptment from the sides, you will need to go to a doctor to make your arms longer. Also then you always have to remove or open the sides of the sumpt to get to stuff.

Having a U shaped flow tank, is almost better. With skimmer front corner, flow to back one big DSB, flow to another chamber other side in front. So all your equiptment is in front, in either of the 2 chambers. And you have a DSB of 1m by .5/.6m
    But you must ensure that the back corners do have flow. Or else that is were ugly stuff will settle. My old sump got this problem. Somewhere I got this method designed, if you are interested.

18. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

right picture time :)

Got all my equipment today

T4 Skimmer (thanks Rob)
    250W MH electronic ballast & 14K Globe
    2 x 6530 pumps for water movement
    1 x 6540 pump for return

work is to be done on both the sump and main tank

here is a picture of the sump
    [​IMG]

main tank
    [​IMG]

both
    [​IMG]

19. aslam

aslam

Great Vatso,waiting to see it take shape.

20. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

bump..
    hows the scopas btw?

21. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Hi Loki

Scopas was in the tank for 3 days & got sucked into the pump :( did not make it

when the new tank is up & running I should not have that happen again with the sealed pumps.

My tank should be ready on Friday :) - Can't wait to start putting it together.

Recent Posts