Vatso Dosing Table

I also found that putting sodium bicarbonate in the oven for 15 to 30min before mixing, drives the moisture off and makes it dissolve much easier, some people have experienced elevated PH with this method but in my case PH is good.

What difference is there buying Pham Grade chemicals from Protea Chemicals for your
Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity, to the Aquarium branded stuff?
I understand the trace elements but these 3????

Pharmaceutical grade is purer with less pollutants, but I've used lesser grades before with no adverse effects.

I suppose pharm grade just puts your mind at ease.

What difference is there buying Pham Grade chemicals from Protea Chemicals for your
Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity, to the Aquarium branded stuff?
I understand the trace elements but these 3????

It's way more cheaper, your monthly supplement cost could get you at least 2 years supply of these chemicals.

I've bought 25 kg bags for under R200 each about a year ago. I gave more than half away and still have enough to last me at least to years.

All this on a 750 sps dominated system

It's way more cheaper, your monthly supplement cost could get you at least 2 years supply of these chemicals.

I've bought 25 kg bags for under R200 each about a year ago. I gave more than half away and still have enough to last me at least to years.

All this on a 750 sps dominated system
So there are no actual different ingredients in the aquarium branded stuff at all?

Are the "Aquarium" commercial brands mixed with distilled or de ionized water as opposed to RO? is this for longevity in the bottles?

Do you still add Kalkwasser in the evenings?

I think I'm also gonna dose like this via a Doser, then just buy commercial Aquarium Trace Elements, Vitamins & Amino Acids, possibly an Iodine Supplement and a few other small chemicals required for SPS & LPS and Special Blend.

Are the "Aquarium" commercial brands mixed with distilled or de ionized water as opposed to RO? is this for longevity in the bottles?

Do you still add Kalkwasser in the evenings?

I think I'm also gonna dose like this via a Doser, then just buy commercial Aquarium Trace Elements, Vitamins & Amino Acids, possibly an Iodine Supplement and a few other small chemicals required for SPS & LPS and Special Blend.

I'm referring to the powdered supplements, I have no idea how they dissolve it though, but I'm leaning towards some type of purified water.

My new setup which is only a few weeks old, is based on the zeovit method, discourages the use of kalkwasser. According to this method of reef keeping the kalkwasser binds with PO4 and locks it up in the rock and substrate only to leach out later, but I can't prove this though.

I have used Kalk with my old system together with DIY dosing. IME Kalk had positive effects from what I could see. It improved skimming dramatically, minimized the nocturnal PH swing and added to the long term ALK level and stability, meaning I had less ALK usage and had to decrease the amounts I was adding long term.

I'm referring to the powdered supplements, I have no idea how they dissolve it though, but I'm leaning towards some type of purified water.

My new setup which is only a few weeks old, is based on the zeovit method, discourages the use of kalkwasser. According to this method of reef keeping the kalkwasser binds with PO4 and locks it up in the rock and substrate only to leach out later, but I can't prove this though.

I have used Kalk with my old system together with DIY dosing. IME Kalk had positive effects from what I could see. It improved skimming dramatically, minimized the nocturnal PH swing and added to the long term ALK level and stability, meaning I had less ALK usage and had to decrease the amounts I was adding long term.
But at the price for Pharm grade chemicals, do you even need to add kalk, maybe a refuge with an alternate lighting time and chaeto instead and use recommended alk?
In other words are there any benefits of adding Kalk besides using the above mentioned dosing and refuge? Besides Corraline growth maybe?

Brent if you want medical grade gef hold of warren chem in killarney gardens
Hey Glen,
Will give them a shout when I'm setting up, but just working out buying dosing pumps, etc etc and this will all help with my engine room I'm designing!

But at the price for Pharm grade chemicals, do you even need to add kalk, maybe a refuge with an alternate lighting time and chaeto instead and use recommended alk?
In other words are there any benefits of adding Kalk besides using the above mentioned dosing and refuge? Besides Corraline growth maybe?

Dont play with kalk as it cause huge ph climbs if overdone not to mention stuffing up equip and turning substrate into rock

Will be useless if not enough carbon dioxide available to convert to carbonate part of coral growth

Yeah, got you on all above,
But what is the added benefit of Kalk over and above the method above?

Back
Top Bottom