Vacuuming your DT

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 23 Sep 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys was pondering this while looking at my tank. If we vacuum our sand in the DT to get rid of detritus, aren't we also removing beneficial organisms

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Hmmm Tagging along. I also heard about diatoms appearing again.

Good question Frans cause i was thinking the same thing.

4. Pads

Pads

Ditto, I do in fact vacuum my substrate once a month or so. At one stage I was doing it with every water change ie) weekly but got lazy. I guess it depends on how much you're feeding, what you're feeding and if you're running a skimmer and scrubber or only a skimmer. I can see the ATS thriving off the dissolved organic waste from settled detritus where as if you were to syphon the sand every week you'd remove a fair portion of the waste. I think if you have a fair amount of LR in the tank then it seeds itself but maybe the best way to vacuum the substrate is to do a quarter of the area each fortnight thus allowing the bacteria and critters to spread. What I sometimes do is syphon the sand and left it settle in the bucket for a few hours then take the top 50% off the water I removed and put it back into the sump. Its scary how much undissolved detritus you vacuum out. Just my 2c

5. Hermanus

Hermanus

Tagging along, and how do you clean the detritus of the dsb as it is on the Flore and cannot vacuum up (you don't want to vacuum the sand of DSB but just the detritus of the top)

I vacuum one part in DT one week and another the next week

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Playsand and Aragonite compared to crushed coral.

crushed coral will build up detritus. Have to syphon it.

Playsand should not. Anyway I got too many hermits to clean my sand to ever have to syphon it. And sometimes the pumps do make a bald spot and mountains on the sand and I have to cover that up and make the sand level again. Do not notice any clouds of rubbish lifting out of the sand. What I did see is that the hermits like those sand areas that I disturbed. SO there must be something in it for them to eat.

For DSB, No do not syphon it. You will kill the animals and bacteria you want. If rubbish do built up, put a few hermits on the sand. How many, depends on DSB size and hermits size. If sand looks clean enough, remove them again.

7. Pugsly

Pugsly

I agree fully with Riaan.

I had crushed coral and I too vacumed it once a month to get rid of the gunk (Only half the tank at a time) so that I did not get rid of all the good stuff in one go.
    But, I changed over to play sand and let me tell you, I have never had such crystal clear water in my tank ever!

And of course doing water changes has now become a breeze!!!!!

8. Sentari

Sentari

Hi Riaan!

I have sugarfine crushed coral and i havent had any problem with it besides the wavemakers blowing it a little like you say. But its settled down nicely now. I was told it would be fine for the tank. Its really fine! Not like this other rice crispies you get.

My DSB is also getting loads of algae in it. Including cyno. I've been told to leave it. Would hermits eat they cyno at all?

9. Tony

Tony

I never vacuum my gravel. I move it around with a window cleaner which kicks all the dirt. THis in turn feeds the corals and the excess is removed by the skimmer

Recent Posts