Uv sterilizer good or bad on Boyu 550

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 26 May 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

hey guys.

Ive read everywhere and uv sterilizer lights had mostly bad reviews. Ive been running mine but if its more bad than good then I would like to stop mine. Apparantly it kills good and bad bacteria. I havent got a qt tank so if one of my fish get sick I would not be able to take him out thus I dont want to risk bad bacteria taking over. Im also using nsw.Does nsw contain bad bacteria? What do you guys think? my brain tells me to switch it off.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

yes nsw should have some bacteria. Dont use the uv light in your tank. USe it in a quarantine tank. YOu can just buy a plastic container from game/makro etc

4. Ugen

Ugen

I second that,switch it off.I dont use it.

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

then off with the u.v light. should I just leave it unplugged or should I disconnect the whole thing and take it out of the tank.

Last edited: 26 May 2011
  6. eb.adam

eb.adam

Switching it off should be fine. I'm not sure how your air feed for your skimmer works. On the TL450, it's on the UV steriliser. In that case it would be difficult to remove. Otherwise I would take it out. Sharp :)

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

@Charl_Stanhope
    Let's dispel a myth here quickly, uv is not bad, the bacteria we want is on media or live rock, anything in the water is not 100% useful, use it if u want, but the water flow through it is to fast anyway.

Last edited: 27 May 2011
  8. Charl_Stanhope

Ive read up so many articles about it and theres alot about it being good,bad. Also, Ive read that after a few months the uv light gets dirty from the water,gets algae growth over it etc etc so it need to be cleaned or replaced in order for it to work properly. Ill just unlpug it and let the water run through it. Ive always had it on and were dosing bacteria so Ill keep on dosing and see what happens etc. thanks for the reply guys

9. Charl_Stanhope

Fpllowing the latest nsw thread,ive got Another question regarding the uv. If you use nsw,is it then advisable to to use a uv steri?

10. Ugen

Ugen

Not sure Charl,my understanding is that ro mixed with salt wont have bacteria(good/bad) but will have trace elements that are good for tank in comparison to nsw which will have bacteria(good/bad).In saying that then i would also think about using the uv steriliser.My suggestion is why dont you just put it on for a little while then switch it off,this should help i think.Maybe someone else can pitch in.

Cheers.

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

you could use it to prepare your water for for the waterchange as it would be useful to remove any freeswimming bacteria and potential disease spores floating in the water, so not a bad idea but they are pretty much redundant and considered old technology for use on teh main display itself.

@Ugen

Charl is asking about Natural Sea Water, where there will be alot of free swimming organisims, some good some bad, you are correct in saying there is no use for it yo be sued in synthetic /manmade seawater.

a sterilizer is not a necessity for a marine system

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Ugen

Ugen

Exactly leslie,thats why i dont use mine,but i use ro mixed with salt and so far so good.I also googled it and not much people use it so that also influenced me.

13. Charl_Stanhope

I have taken mine out about a week or two ago and I must say,i have definitely say I have seen less diatoms and all my cyano disappeared. So maybe it is good. But on the other hand,I dont want to add any bad bacteria to my tank with the nsw and cause my fish to suffer. I think for now Im just gonna take it out. I removed the uv,replace the pipe to the pump and connected it to the outlet hole that connects to the black pipe with the holes where the water flows out into the tank. It was very easy.took me a few minutes.

14. TAFF

TAFF

BOYU TL-450 UV stopped working

I have just been given a BOYU TL-450 as I would like to get into marine set ups .starting small for a while until I get to the ins and outs of keeping marine fish and live rock ..my question is the UV part doesn't work..is this a serious problem or is there any other way around this ..would really appreciate your advice :)

15. Brendan6

Brendan6

It is not a serious problem at all, in fact not many people run there UV as they are not that effective.

16. Criggy

Criggy

Boyu UV is useless - If you are using NSW you should sterilize as it will contain pathogens

17. TAFF

TAFF

Thank you very much for this information.my friend did tell me he kept clown fish in the tank and had no problems with the UV steriliser not working .i just wanted to make sure .:)

18. Brendan6

Brendan6

All good bud. The UV sterilizer (if effective) alters DNA of certain spores/parasites ect, so that they cannot reproduce. Effectively it aids the control of your tanks water quality. A lot of the good guys like bacteria and copepods do not end up in the water column so a uv system does not effect the good guys as much as the bad guys.

For it to be effective you need a powerful UV system, the boyu's uv is not a powerful system at all. So in honesty its just a waste of electricity.

A UV is a luxury, not necessity.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I chucked the UV out on the TL550 I setup for my son. No real need for it as the original item is not that effective and I did not find an replacement tube either.

20. TAFF

TAFF

Well here's hoping my friend doesn't let me down by giving me the tank .i do have an aquarium tank but the beauty of the marine life has got me fascinated in owning one myself...and finally as I am new to this site may I take this opportunity to thank you all for a fantastic welcome and most of all your knowledge of which I will endeavour to take on board .GREAT SITE :m106:

Recent Posts