Uv stereliser & tds tester

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charlne, 23 Aug 2012.

1. Charlne

Charlne

Morning people.

I would just like to know if its necessary for a UV stereliser in a DSB filtration setup and where can i find/buy a TDS (total dissolved solids) tester to test my R0 water.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

UV sterilisers are great, but they are indiscriminate killers of all organisms, even the bacteria that live in your DSB, they however kill off bad pathogens like white spot and bad bacteria. Some people run there UV sterilisers for a few hours a day, so as not to make the whole system sterile. Another downside is that you would need to change the UV globe every few months and keep the glass inside the unit clean, as this would make the UV less effective.
    If you looking for a TDS pen check out this for sale thread, @mupwi might be able to help you. Uv stereliser tds tester - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Charlne

Charlne Thread Starter

Thank you very much... If i may ask do you run a UV steriliser. If i dont have a UV steriliser is there another way to reduce the UV or is it not realy a mayor issue

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

UV is not needed on a stable system.
    Can use it on a quarantine system where you want to kill off bacteria (good and bad)

Mostly, underrated UV systems are employed by reefers for the systems they are supposed to clean. And only the water that does past the unit is cleaned. Any Pathogens that falls off the fish directly onto the substrate is safe. Same the other way around. Will only kill whitespot Theronts that goes over the overflow, or past the intake of the UV system. Theronts that hatch close to a fish and find their host quickly are safe.

My opinion, use UV on a quarantine system.

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I don't use UV, use Ozone but the use of Ozone can be tricky.
    I agree with @RiaanP, you wont need UV in a clean, well balanced, mature sytem, rather spend your money on setting up a quarantine/hospital tank and Ozone is best achieved if you are looking for certain criteria in your system, like water clarity (read up, many posts in here).

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts