UV lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by PeterL, 8 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

One hears of people talking about UV lighting but I haven't heard abot any details about it.

What is the purpose of UV lighting and or is it used in a reef tank environment? Can I get some of the "lighting experts" in on this one for some detailed information about UV lighting in a marine environment.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

To the best of my knowledge, plain UV isn't really a good thing at all. Its increases radiation without adding anything to photosynthesis - leading to photo-inhibition and 'burning'.

4. Annoying

Annoying

I can be wrong about UV (please coreect me if I am) but as far as I know UV destroys all sellular structure in wich it comes in contact with. ALgae in the water colum will the be destroyd or altered causing the not to breed and this helps with no algae nor cyano problems, but it also destroys all the bacteria living in your water that helps with the filtration process wich can damage your system. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Zombie Clam - I have not yet answered you on this.

The UV light that is used in the scenario of an aquarium, is not a light that is put up over your tank to supply some kind of funky light.

It is a way to kill off all/any microbes in the water. The UV globe is contained in an enclosed container - within a see-through tube. Tank water is pumped through the outer enclosure of this unit - while the UV shines right at the water. The UV light then kills off all single-celled animals, or simple-celled animals.....

The idea is to kill of any possible pathogens that might be in the tank. It is "said" that this MIGHT assist with marine ich problems. But, there is no scientific proof, that I have read yet, that actually proves this to be true.

6. Annoying

Annoying

It's called a UV steriliser, normally they are used for koi ponds but seems to get more and more to marines. Like Jacques said it's a small filter like thing connected to the tank. In it is a small UV light (stronger the wattage the bigger the aquarium) and the rest Jacques told you
    [​IMG]

7. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Does anyone here at MASA use one of these "filters" and can you add to the UV thing, I don't use UV, I have just heard very vague stories of somewhere in the mix UV may be used but at the same time - I have heard nothing good about it so for now I ensure no UV near my tank.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes Zombie Clam - some people do use this. BUT - it is not wide spread. And it is definitely more of some "snake oil" that is many times sold to people putting in ponds ans tropical freshwater tanks.....

9. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

agreed.....and yes it certainly works.
    however do not purchase pvc / plastic units.
    look for a good quality stainless steel unit with quartz sleeve as this rebounds the rays in the stainles tube making it 5 times more efficiant.

reccommend 6 hours on / 6 hours off........when ich in swystem...run 12 hours n / 12 hours off...........feed pump must always be slow rate through chamber to allow contact time for maximum elimination and steriliztion

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I use a boyu uv sterilizer which is on 6hours everyday, it has reduced my hair algae by a small margin. When I first got it, it was on continuously which was a big mistake as it killed all my coraline algae & had problems with my filtration. I did more research & learned that 6 - 12hrs a day is just right because then you give the system chance to recover. My uv goes on at 10am - 3pm because I feel that during that period the uvb rays are at it's strongest if there is light in you room where system sits. just my little experience & input.

11. lIghty

lIghty

Firstly, UV light is broken up into 3 "groups" UV-A, UV-B, UV-C.

The type we use on our tanks, ponds etc is the UV-C Band (germicidal), UV-A is also called "black light" like what they use in the clubs.

Now, there are 2 types of devices, UV clarifier & UV sterilizer, basically the same except the sterilizer makes use of a quarts sleeve, this increases the performance.

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The globes are also only effective for 3 months or so - a waist of time and money in my opinion as it also kills good bacteria...

13. lIghty

lIghty

I agree with Tobes, AFAIK its yet to be proven benefical in a marine setup?
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Do you guys think I should stop using my uv? I don't want to kill the bacteria, I only have it on for 6 hrs a day, have I made a mistake by getting a uv sterilizer? I thought I made the right choice. MMMmmmmmm I'm a bit confuzeled now!!!

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

Try telling that to the UV - please kill only the baddies and leave my good bacteria alone:lol: Not possible buddy - I think it should go off .... Maybe you could use it on a hospital tank or quarantine tank.....

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If you purchased the UV thing for use in your quarantine tank, keep it, it was a very good choice. If you purchased it to stop MI (white spot) in your DT, bad choice, results will disappoint.

The pros and cons are very much debated as are all filtration methods. A UV sterilizer will keep the background bacteria count down. This helps in systems that LS has been added with out proper QT regime. One has to decide/consider, the effects of other filtration processes in the system. One generally tries to promote bacteria growth through a DSB , Carbon source dosing, ATS, etc. So the UV thing you bought will have an impact in this department.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Waste of time.

Globe only last 3 months.
    That means at end month one , globe will only be effective 33%. So in two weeks, only 16.5%. To be of use you have to replace the globe at 6 weeks, 50% effective. Even on a QT tank a powerhead with sponge filter will catch more whitespot cysts that a UV can kill. Just rinse the sponge daily. Also if builds up an algae film over the glass tube. Same as on inside of display tank. And that stops the light even more. Must dismantle the thing monthly to clean that tube, yea right....

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

RP doing a garage clean out to morrow. Got a few UV units that will find the waste tec bin. I take it you, like me, will not be tooo concerned. They really are carp.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had one on my koi pond, actually still there, but globe is soooo old. Not working anymore, but it is one of those Ultra Zap filters, all in one. Well I bought that 5 years ago before knowing anything about UV globes.

I take it my Koi pond is good, Clean my filters max 3 times a year. Water is clear. 1m deep and i can see the dead snails lying on the bottom. No effort pond.

Anyway Last year when Anthony Calfso visited Idol Marine, he gave his own very interesting look on UV lights. And it is his suggestion to rather use powerheads with sponge filters. So the credit goes to him. And he did give very good reasons for each of his statements. Can't remember them all, had some beers as well.:thumbup:

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

RP i agree, beers do let one remember.

More, less, sometimes. :)

Last edited: 10 Apr 2010
Recent Posts