UV light vs Ozonizer

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm interested in getting one or the other, have read and been advised which is better however more than often it's conflicting stories so thought who better to ask than the crew that actually have these systems and which they figure is the best to get. I started off thinking the Ozonizer is better but now I have swung round to an in line UV setup which sounds better.. Need your advice please. It will be for a 650l tank.

they do different jobs within the system, both would work fine even together, or better yet use a UV and activated Carbon

I use both. UV to control free living parasites. O3 for increased redox which aids in fish health and water clarity. I don't use carbon (expensive and lends a risk to lateral line erosion in tangs, particularly Acanthurus and Zebrosoma sp).
O3 needs more careful control and dry air to pass through your corona discharges, otherwise it will stop working. O3 is very oxidising, even your skimmer pipes will need to be replaced. UV doesn't increase redox as much as O3 and your tubes and systems needs to be serviced every six months to a year.

O3 is cumulative, so even if you run for an hour a day, you might end up killing all fish and LS, you need to a redox probe to monitor your level.

uv

hello friends
so...if i use uv light, i will have crystall water?no green or black water?for a 200 literes (tank+sump) what uv is suitable?in watts..i mean.I am starting new tank and need your answers my friends....to manage budget. thnx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom