UV Filtration

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by cknipe, 25 Nov 2013.

1. cknipe

cknipe

Hi All,

I use a UV filter on my FW, and I will absolutely never run a FW without some kind of UV, especially in terms of algea and disease control.

On the marine side, I am getting lots of conflicting results. Some are adament UV is great, others swears by not using UV, then there are some stating that UV shouldn't run 24x7, but refrain from giving any sort of indication on how long they DO run UV for.

What would be the general consensus here in terms of UV? Granted, there are good bacteria that we don't want to kill / steralize, but the argument is that the good bacteria will be on live rock and not "airbourne" in the water. So I'm pretty sure that I won't be killing off anything on the good side, just like with FW setups.

Would like to hear the feelings of the experts here in terms of UV...

Thanks,
    C

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

in your freshwater setup, where did you place the inlet of the UV filter?
    Was it in the display tank?

4. pkc

pkc

If you have a sterilzer, then use it 24/7, if you do not, then it matters not.
    They either kill or mostly prevent planktonic life from multiplying that pass lighitng, which includes algae larvae, unimportant bacteria, parasitic protists such as white spot and velvet,etc etc.
    They cause no harm, nor helps overly either, so running it as long as you like, with good foods used, harms nothing with only a slight warming of your waters.

5. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

@RiaanP In the FW, my external canister has UV. Marine wise, I would more than likely get an external in-line UV lamp that I can connect up in my return line from the sump....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

UV works, but it will only treat the water passing it.
    Having a setup where you first need to ensure that the water that needs to be treated must first exit the system over the overflow, then being picked up by UV feeding pump is not ideal. Reason is that you are then 100% dependant on tank internal flow to be able to blow all parasites and bacteria in suspension until they can exit over the overflow. Having a smallish return pump will not help in this case either. Not enough internal flow and newly hatched whitespot looking for a host will not enter the overflow chamber either. Some will go over, but not all.

That is just my opinion. For UV to work optimal, it should rather be used on a quarantine setup with the feeder pump directly in the "display" part

UV does work, it does reduce the numbers of free swimming parasites and bacteria a lot. But I would never put all my trust on UV.

Recent Posts