uv filter

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by naughtydragons, 24 Feb 2010.

1. naughtydragons

naughtydragons

Hi guys, can anybody please tell me something about uv filters, which bacteria do thy kill? should i or not??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Naughtydragons - UV filters are not driscriminate..... they kill all bacteria! Good and bad....

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

UV filters kill good and bad bacteria. But only bacteria that pass through them. So they will never eradicate a system of MI for instance. My personal opinion is that they are a wast of time and cause more hassles and problems than they are worth. I have about 20 leaking units from a SA manufacturer in my garage. Some caused a fire, all leak and another sent a young child to hospital. I dont want to rant on but if you do decide to go with a UV sterilizer do not buy the local one, rather spend a little more and get one that is SABS or EURO approved. It could save your life.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Jacques, not very fond of them as they can leach UV when they break as well...

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

waste of time on a QT tank.

firstly the tube the light goes into gets a film coating on it. That prevents or blocks some light.
    Each tube got a 3 month effective period. So about 12 weeks. So after 1 week it is only 90% effective. After 1 month only 66%. Plus the tube is covered and that degrades the performance even more.

On a QT setup, you will get a lot better white spot cyst removal by using a powerhead with a sponge filter attached to it. Some as in use by some LFS. Just rinse the sponge everyday as you syphon and clean the bottom.

also the more dissolved stuff in your tank, the less is your light penetration, both your normal lights and the UV light.

Anthony Calfso was at Idol Marine sometime last year. And I did ask him this same question. And the advise I'm giving you, was actually his answer to me.

7. naughtydragons

naughtydragons Thread Starter

uv

Ok, thanks for the horror story. wow, some bad luck there.:(

Fact is, I was give a uv sterilizer - :thumbup:(and not cuz the guy isnt using it in his tank cuz the sterilizer was aweful!). :nono:
    I have it now, so all I want to know is - will it benifit my tank or am I going to do any harm?:biggrin:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Most likely the globe must be replaced.

It helps in a way. But actually a waste of a pump.

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

And kills good bacteria...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

If u have LR in the tank then forget about using it. They also add more heat and power consumption. No need to add UV if u control ur water parameters well!;)

Recent Posts