UV Filter Plumbing

Reaction score
Please give me some ideas on plumbling in a UV filter.

My setup is basically oveflow - durso - external skimmer - sump - return pump.

Can I plumb the UV inline with the skimmers inlet pipe ?

Hi Warr - no - I would rather say to plumb the UV filter at the sump return pump's side...
I am not 100% sure on this, BUT I think personally that the UV filter just MIGHT affect you skimmer's ability.....
Also - the main idea of a UV sterilizer is to kill off any micro organisms that might be detrimental to the fishes' lives.... ie. bacteria's that might be harmful, or perhaps even fungal spores or something like marine ich spores...

Hi Warr - no - I would rather say to plumb the UV filter at the sump return pump's side...
I am not 100% sure on this, BUT I think personally that the UV filter just MIGHT affect you skimmer's ability.....
Also - the main idea of a UV sterilizer is to kill off any micro organisms that might be detrimental to the fishes' lives.... ie. bacteria's that might be harmful, or perhaps even fungal spores or something like marine ich spores...

The problem I have is the outlet pipes are bigger than the inlet pipes and the inlet pipes are the exact size of the UV unit.

I would like clarification on the UV effecting the skimmer.

I will only run the unit when I have whitespot problems.

I don't like killing the critters in the water column, but I want to get this bastard pest under control.

The problem I have is the outlet pipes are bigger than the inlet pipes and the inlet pipes are the exact size of the UV unit.

Are you referring to inlet and outlet of skimmer in above quote? I think what Jacquesb was referring to was plumbing into your return pump pipe. It is critical to the efficiency of the UV that the water going thru the UV is as free of organics as possible to prevent shielding. You want as much stuff to be removed through skimming and settlement over DSB / cheato, before entering UV chamber.

Thanks for the clarification Dendrosa. Warr - Dendrosa is 100% correct.

Also - the fact that protein skimming works on molecules that sort of "stick" to the air-bubbles when skimmer, the working of a UV sterilizer is that it breaks cellular walls of cells, thus killing the cell/animal. If the cellular walls are broken, then all types of chemical-compounds are released into the water. These chemical compounds could then bond to protein molecules, which could then in turn cause them not to "Stick" to the tiniest air-bubbles created by the skimmer. Causing the skimmer to skim less.

Then theres the fact, as Dendrosa mentioned, that the POC's / DOC's that is in the water, could most likely affect the UV sterilizer in such a way that the cells you want to kill (the bad one's) can "hide away" within the POC's (especially) thus not being affected by the UV light, rendering the working of the UV sterilizer less than optimal....

Are you referring to inlet and outlet of skimmer in above quote? I think what Jacquesb was referring to was plumbing into your return pump pipe. It is critical to the efficiency of the UV that the water going thru the UV is as free of organics as possible to prevent shielding. You want as much stuff to be removed through skimming and settlement over DSB / cheato, before entering UV chamber.

Ok, this is going to make this a horrible job now. So I need to connect this to the return outlet.

warr the plumber boy:)

just wondering guys, what is the effect of UV on marine algaes, i know the koi boys use UV alot for algae, would it kill the spores etc too? I assume one would only run UV over a period of problems as a corrective measure, not as a preventative measure all the time?

just wondering guys, what is the effect of UV on marine algaes, i know the koi boys use UV alot for algae, would it kill the spores etc too? I assume one would only run UV over a period of problems as a corrective measure, not as a preventative measure all the time?

What I have heard, is it will kill everything that goes through the filter. So I would say only run it when needed IE: Whitespot :whistling:

Just remember it is some time after you see the whitespot that UV only becomes effective. ie the cysts drop of from the fish to bottom for a while. It is only when the cysts hatch and ( cant remember termonology - tomophonts?) start swimming to seek out fish that UV becomes effective. Not sure of the life cycle but I Know general quarantine reccomendation is about 40 days.

Hi Crispin - NO - it does not kill macro algae spores, I believe. Due to the cellular structure being different to that of zooplancton/bacteria cells/marine ich spores(cells).
Plant cells have a cellulose cell structure, which cannot be easily be "broken down". Where as the "animal" type cells (zoa) have a very thin outer cell layer, keeping the "insides in".....

UV can break down the outer "skin" of the "animal"(zoa) cell, but not that of a plant-like cell-wall....

Hi Crispin - NO - it does not kill macro algae spores, I believe. Due to the cellular structure being different to that of zooplancton/bacteria cells/marine ich spores(cells).
Plant cells have a cellulose cell structure, which cannot be easily be "broken down". Where as the "animal" type cells (zoa) have a very thin outer cell layer, keeping the "insides in".....

UV can break down the outer "skin" of the "animal"(zoa) cell, but not that of a plant-like cell-wall....

Wow, Jacques the Scientist :p

Oops - have I shown some side of me that's I should not have? ;-)

I scored 98% in biology on HG when I did matric ;-)

I just love nature - remember these funny things - but don't remember the actual terminology ;-)

jacquesb; said:

Actually I disaggree. UV steralizers are considered extremely effective for algae control in both ponds and pools. Marine algae should be no different. The problem with UV it also kills benificial spores / plankton etc.
Incidently, it is also important to ensure that you size the UV sterilizer correctly for what you are trying to target. You need to ensure that the organism is in the presence of a strong enough UV dose for long enough for it to kill the organism. Not sure what the dosing strength is for whitespot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom