UV benefits

Reaction score
hi my friends:
i want to know what is the UV flitration benefites and that have it any effect on wihte spote?

uv sterilizers kill organisims that come into contact with the radiation emitted from the bulb.

so they are effective in limiting the transfer of whitespot and other organisims and bacteria from entering the tank if used in the correct manner.

common problemsleding to ineffectiveness of the unit are:
poor positioning (ideally hve the Uv positioned on the return pipe).
water flow (if the water flow is inadequate through the unit it can be inefective, too fast and there will not be enough contact between the water and the bulb too slow and the bacteria can populate too quickly before it gets cycled through the unit.

they are not absolutley necessary but rather a aditional item implemented as a precaution..

proper feeding (diet) of livestock and the introduction of vitamins are critical to disease controll..

that mean the water flow must be slow in the unit to be effective?

Hi Jinx what Leslie said is correct but you must understand that white spot is a pathogen and what sits in your live rock does not die only what passes through will die,but the down side to a uv is that it kills all bad bacteria aswell as good,if i got to run it i will only use it 1-2twice a week for 8 hours or so but i found by using a 500lt pump it works well,i do not think that there is any proof on what goodness there is or am i totally wrong,the reef masters will have more to say on this post

i do not think that there is any proof on what goodness there is or am i totally wrong

Nope, you're totally right - for a UV to operate well enough to kill all pathogens, it will also kill off all the good stuff in the water. Also, for it to operate efficiently, the water flow through it (actually, dwell time inside the UV unit) must be so slow that it becomes impossible to circulate the water fast enough to have an effect on a rapidly increasing population of (say) white spot tomites (the free-swimming stage of the disease).

Personally, I think that there are better "things" to spend one's money on :whistling:

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom