Uv and ozone

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by DeanT, 18 Nov 2014.

1. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi all
    Thought I would share this as it was very interesting for me.
    Today I visited a company who make ozone units for various industrial purposes

As we all know ozone has an application in marine tanks but can be "dangerous".
    Things I was taught today about this method of treating our water

1. Ozone is not deadly to humans if you inhale to much , take a breather but you will be fine.

2. Always use it in a well ventilated area.

3. Yes it can be deadly if you use too much in a marine system as it will sterilize your water

4 always run uv before ozone or run them independent from each other
    If you run ozone water through uv you are defeating the object as the uv rays destroy ozone molecules and therefore makes it useless.

5. Carbon - which we all use - will do the same as uv , therefore use either ozone or carbon bot not both , ozone will also cause carbon to breakdown in your system creating carbon dust.

6 most ozone generators are fitted which inferior fittings and therefore will only last so long, probably just past the warranty period and then degrade.

7 best way to introduce ozone is through a Venturi in a flow pipe and not in a reactor or skimmer - reason for this is that the Venturi will introduce ozone into the water and the reaction time will depend on the length of the pipe - this usually will mean longer reaction time then a skimmer or reactor meaning better results

8 always use a orp controller

If I remember anymore I will post them but I found 4 and 5 most interesting
    Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do not agree 100% on this one. Rest of the statements are fine.

Reason is, as you state it will depend on the lenght of the pipe. Having a 1m pipe, and a 2000L/h pump pushing water through it. Just how long will water take from the venturi to the exit?

Skimmer pump drawing in air, and the ozone will chop it more fine than any venturi could. The skimmer body is designed to maximize reaction time, meaning to have the water in there long enough so that the things that will become skimate can actually attach to the bubbles. This is a lot longer time than what a 1m pipe would give you.

Even a ozone reactor, is a thick piece of tube, water takes a lot longer to exit that reactor body than same flow would do in a 25mm, or 50mm pipe.

My ATI skimmer got 2 airline connections, or venturi type connections. One for the normal air pulled in as with all skimmers, plus a secondary connection for the ozone line.

Too low flow and the venturi would be too weak to pull in the air ozone mix. So you need a descend size pump to push the water through the pipe.

Unless, you make your flow pipe 10m or more. Maybe then, but I still think a skimmer body will give you a longer reaction time than a flow pipe.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2014
  4. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

@RiaanP
    Thanks for the reply
    From what I remember the reason for this is that if you have closed Venturi that is injecting ozone , you are getting a "concentrated dose of ozone" compared to a skimmer that will have a mixture of air and ozone.
    With the Venturi in a flow pipe they said that the initial side of the flow would need to be higher in pressure then the second part if the flow.
    They had a fitting that was basically tapered from narrow to a wider section to accommodate this.

Problem with skimmers as well it that some if them are not made from ozone resistant material and over time the ozone will effect those parts.
    Especially when it comes to seals. These will tolerate the ozone in the beginning and slowly degrade, where as the fitting is made from ozone resistant material and obviously tested throughly as it is used in water treatment and medical. Also once the ozone is dissolved and has reacted with the water the effect on the fittings and surround is neutralized and has no effect.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

New skimmer body and parts can most handle ozone. Was an issue years ago on older skimmers and older acrilic types and rubber seals. Even my Reeftek TS2 used to run fine on it.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have a problems with these..
    5. carbon is a mechanical filter, it stops detritus/molecules in the water column by blocking them in its pore structure, how is this like UV? i have run ozone and carbon for over 5yrs and never had an issue, please show me the reference for this? carbon is used to remove ozone Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

6. most generators are the corona discharge type, nothing to so with fittings but failing to dry the air 100% before it goes into the ozone generator as this causes the damage when there is increased humidity or not using non-return valves

8. Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com last 2 paragraphs will help

7. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

@dallasg
    I think the context that I wrote point 5 might be a little msi leading in the sense that carbon will act in the same manner as uv with ozone
    So basically if you using ozone , don't use carbon or use carbon prior to ozone as the carbon will neutralize the ozone in the water column

With the generators - I don't know the internal components but they were saying that most device are not designed using ozone resistant components, I assume this is more for large scale units and therefore components will degrade and fail after some use

Obviously I am no expert on This subject but this company had nothing to sell me (always sceptic all with advise from shops) so I took most of it as true knowledge

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you want the carbon to remove the ozone as mentioned in the article, i'll re-read it to check

Recent Posts