Using natural sea water

Reaction score
So I’ve been considering using natural sea water for my weekly water changes and wanted to know if any other reefers are doing this. Is there any benefit from using natural sea water over synthetic water? I have read a few posts where guys have mentioned their livestock seems happier with NSW so any info and pics would be appreciated.

Hi bud , yes many people use natural sea water and i would be doing the same thing if i was still close to a ocean . Only issue with this is that if you collecting it yourself , thw issue is finding water with no pollution . Also i put my water through a diatom filter before adding it too my tank which was a page taken out of Paul B's handbook .

If the "natural" way is what intrigues you , i would highly suggest searching for Paul B in the user search option and read up on what he has had to say as well as just researching "natural tanks" . Paul be has a wealth of knowledge and he has never be scared or selfish when it comes to sharing what he has done and how it works for him . But its up too you , cant say there is a proper or improper way of doing your tank , its what will be best for you and how much time you can spend on it . Me personally , i am a huge fan of natural sea water .

My Dad stays close to the aquarium and gets NSW from them that is nice and clean and filtered, and it's very cheap, think he pays something like 50c a liter. His tanks seems extremely happy with the NSW and all his corals are doing very well. So maybe check the option if there is an aquarium close to you.

I ran my previous 4ft tank off NSW for a while. I eventually stopped because it was just too much of a mission to get things done and I think our local waters generally have higher nutrients and salinity in KZN can fluctuate quite a bit, especially in summer. I do think starting a tank with NSW is a good idea though (Natural bacteria).

I found it much easier to do synthetic salt mix. If it is a SPS or mixed coral tank you're planning, I'd stick to synthetic salt for water changes.

I managed to find out the process for collecting sea water from ushaka. It’s fairly simple so instead of collecting water, gonna get it from ushaka.

I back my Jeep up to the sea, throw in a bilge hose and fill vats with it. My tank is now all NSW. The only thing is you will get whatever alae in your tank that is growing in that water which I feel is a good thing. But sometimes, maybe not.

I managed to find out the process for collecting sea water from ushaka. It’s fairly simple so instead of collecting water, gonna get it from ushaka.
Vijay would you mind sharing how to go about doing this please? Thanks in advance!

Contact Jane , she will assist you

Attachments

• B85FE064-5E41-49CA-A822-7B2835E672A2.png
    B85FE064-5E41-49CA-A822-7B2835E672A2.png
    306 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top Bottom