Using LS as method for algea control

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 6 Apr 2011.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Been reading a few posts about how tangs , sea hares , etc will assist in controlling nuisance algae.

I would just like to hear the overall thoughts on going using / acquiring LS to control an underlying issue.

What I mean is , if you advocate / do it ...why, if you disagree also why.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Well for example, with tangs eating nuisance algae. The fish keep it in check and it does provide food for the fish however there is a reason for the algae ie high phosphates etc so it is pretty much treating the symptom and not the source of the problem. If your fish enjoy the algae and your corals are doing good with the parameters then it may be ok

4. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Frans.

I think there was a very heated threat about this already. My take on it is that there have to be balance. In all systems where there is life, there will be some algae. In my opinion it is healthy and nessasary. There has to be a balance wrt your cuc, grazing crew and nutrients.

Sometimes people use something like a sea hair to try and rectify an inbalance, or to remove access alge while they are correcting the underlying issue. This is not always a good idea since there is no balance. Once the alge is gone the sea hair will die due to lack of food, or you should be able to provide the animal with another home.

So. My opinion as a nuub. Ls and alge should be in balance. Dont use LS to correct an underlying issue. Rather fix the issue.

5. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

@Nsteyn

I agree 110 % , there needs to be a balance..as in nature. In our systems it is much more difficult obtaining it as it is a closed environment.

@ Treamayn, agreed this is their natural behaviour, so is it "that wrong" ????

I was wandering...if all LS is well , and you have a high nutriet fuelling situation..thus leading to algae , and keeping specific herbivors...would that be wrong ??

Guys , dont want to start splitting hairs, just want to hear some thoughts

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Cant see why it would be wrong. If you are feeding more you add a herbivore to reach the balance. Although this is not a natural balance but induced by "overfeeding" and you should know that you will have issue if you overfeed or you remove or lose LS for some reason.

7. crispin

crispin

8. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Thats the one crispin :p

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

sh!t...did I open that can of worms again.....forgot about that

Been discussed I think (as with T5 vs MH lighting ;)) to death....mods feel free to close

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

haha :p

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

My i missed that whole exciting thread. :biggrin:

BTW you guys do know that a damsel is a gardener. He farms and cultivates his own little patch of algae and protects it viciously. This is why they attack tangs and other fish attempting to feed of of their patch.

No i am not going to enter the debate. :whistling:

12. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

I did not believe you nemos'!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/science/22obfish.html?_r=1

Sorry :p

Last edited: 6 Apr 2011
  13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My tank outside, in the sun, got overrun with algae. I got a small convict tang. And he sorted it out totally. Now I have to feed him. He is the only inhabitant fish wise in that tank. So now it is a schlep. I cannot put him in my main tank, as the other tangs will take him out.

Balance, yes, must be able to provide enough algae growth for your herbivorous snails. Too many snails, and all stand a change to die. Too few, and the algae win. So how do you know when you reach the balance point as you would only see a couple of weeks later what is the result after adding one more snail.

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Simple, feed your fish more to produce more nutrients to create more algae so that your fish grow faster and then i can sell you a bigger tank. :biggrin:

Recent Posts