Using Kalk

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Kunhardt, 30 Mar 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

There comes a time in any new reefers life when he has to start using additives. For me that time is now. After months of my calcium levels staying at around 400, they have dropped down to 350. I have done water changes with no increase. So have decided to try dosing kalk.

I bought some kalk, 2L bottles, air line tubing and clamp and am ready to go. I have mixed 1 teaspoon kalk powder with 2L RO water as per instructions on the container.
    I am leaving it to stand for 24hrs as per LFS instructions. Instructions say decant clear solution, but LFS says this will only give 100ppm while if u leave it for 24hrs it will give you over 400ppm thus increasing your calcium.

Is there any info you guys can give me as a newbie to additives? When/ what time of day should i start dripping? Should i use this kalk RO as my top up water? Should I drip every day or just when calcium gets low? Anything else i may not have thought of...

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ross

Ross

If you were using a Kalk reactor it would be doing your topup for you so you can use it as the topup.

If you are dripping, probably simpler to work out your evaporation and then at night try replace that evaporation with you kalk laced water.

Sorry can not comment on levels will have to leave that to a pro.

4. sunburst

sunburst

Do you have an auto top up device? If you don't, then i would seriously advise you to do so. Invest in one.;) Then All your evaporated water can be replaced with slake lime. The concentration of slake lime/water would depend on your demand. I generally allow 30 min give or take a dash, and then make sure my auto top up pump is not sitting in the fallout

If water changes have had little effect on your calcium your alkalinity could be high. Have you being dosing buffer, as in bi carb

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I am in the process of trying to get an auto top up, so its in the pipe line. I use roughly 2L of RO a day for top up at the moment. So was thinking that the kalk/RO water would do the trick?

With regard to Alk, i only have the Red Sea test kits, but my Alk reading on it is normal, so if they correct not a problem there. Could be that maybe the amount of water change is not big enough to make a noticable difference to calcium reading? I am doing 25% every 2 weeks, should i maybe do a once off larger water change and see how this goes?

Btw, i have heard of slake lime, but what exactly is it?

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I dont have a kalk reactor, just setup a DIY kalk drip. So I should drip kalk at night? Does it make a difference that my sump lights are on at night, as this is where the kalk would be dripped into?

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to mention...no havent been using a buffer, didnt think i needed to with regard to alk reading on test kit. Would u advise that i do?

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Kunhardt - what EXACTLY is your kalk powder made of? Sounds like you have a commercial kalkwasser application?

IF it is also calcium hydroxide, you can use white spirit vinegar - this will "break up" the calcium hydroxide more, and make even more calcium available to your tank. use +-175ml of vinegar per 2 litres of RO water.....

9. Andreas

Andreas

I dose it 24/7 but dosing it at night would help stabilise the drop in pH at night.Your sump lights wont have any effect on the kalk:)

I think that fully saturated kalk has a pH of 12.4 so it is recommeded not to dose to much at at time

10. sunburst

sunburst

Yip. An excellent method. Very cheap and convenient

No...25% is more than adequate. Some prefer less more often. Others prefer more less often:huh:

Calcium hydroxide. Kalk.Pickling Lime...All the same...Check out the local chemist

IMO dosing should be done 24/7...Especially since you are running a day/night reverse cycle...But once again there are many opinions...With a healthy alkalinity the effects will not be noticed by your calcium hungry creatures.

Your algal refugium providing carbonates and your healthy water change habits have got you covered:)

PS Slaked lime provides a balanced form of calcium alkalinity. Please beware of the dangers of adding only one or the other

11. sunburst

sunburst

Good.... a waste of space electricity time and money:)

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Not sure of the name brand or what its made of off hand, will have to look and see. But it comes in a white tub...kinda like one of those vicks tubs. I think it may be a locally manufacture product, also cant remember there being much info on the label just how to mix and administer it.

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

This is what Leslie told me tonight - pH of 12. I will then start dosing from tomorrow night, i was going to go with 1 drop every 2 seconds from a 2L bottle...as per LFS recommendations, will this be fine?

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

So to sum up - dose 24/7 in small amounts preferably once auto topup is running add kalk to RO in this syste,, I must keep an eye on my alk reading...does that cover it? Just when i think i have got the hang of marine keeping i get thrown a new obsticle to master. :)

PS. Thanks for all the feed back guys, its greatly appreciated.

15. Tony

Tony

Using kalk in a stirrer or through an automatic top up is a lot of hit and miss and cause a lot of fluctuations in p.H and calcium levels because water replacement is not a definate and your ATO will add water differently from day to day depending on temperature and the season. For consistency one would have to either invest in a CARX which I find unnnecasary or manually dose supplements. Adding alkalinity and calcium seperately is more sure as you base your additions on consumption not pot luck. Using a balanced calcium and alkalinity supplement is another alternative

16. Andreas

Andreas

Kalk provides a balanced form of calcium an alkalinity.I have not noticed a huge swing in my tanks pH by dripping kalk and have seen Alan dose kalk(slurry method) to his main display and his livestock look great;)I cant recall what his pH in his tank rises by but I was shocked.

17. Tony

Tony

Andreas, if you drip kalk and know how much to drip daily then it's fine. Used in an ATO is a lot like hit and miss. I used to do that and my p.H was at 8.6 on certain days due to fluctuations in evaporation adding more kalk than needed or adding too little. My livestock were fine but I want more stability which is key. I now only use TM bio calcium and my parameters are stable with a 0.1 change in p.H opposed to a 0.4 change in p.H

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

ok so i can stick with the drip method? Now if i start it tonight, when that bottle is empty do i immediately replace it with another if i am dripping 24/7 or do i wait until the same time tomorrow night that i start tonight to start a new drip?

19. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Seachem has a calcium suppliment that they say doesnt effect alk and ph. It also has magnesium and strotium. Would this maybe be a better choice than dripping kalk?

20. sunburst

sunburst

Hmmm...I would rather use that money to buy salt.... for a water change or three. If your pH is being pushed up by chalk, then simply reduce the concentration. Dosing saturated slake is something that should be avoided for this very reason.

Recent Posts