using ginger to cure ich

Ginger works with ich

Lol, does the ginger work "with" the Ich or against it...
Just kidding. Sounds interesting, but the water quality of the tank where he quarantines the fish also probably plays a big role...

Just wonder if it can cure the ich permanently or is it just a temporary relieve.

He describes treating infected fish in his display by mixing powdered ginger with his frozen food (thaws then refreezes). Sounds coincidental but I'll give it a try if i get ich in my display - worth a try.

what next?
Treatment Option 14: Ginger
First garlic, now ginger. Is anyone else starting to get hungry? Either I am going to whip up a plate of Roasted Garlic Fettuccini Alfredo or mix up some Wasabi and get busy rolling some Sushi Maki.
Ginger is the newest homeopathic treatment to be suggested. The main thread to this discussion is located here, I waded through the entire thing. It was up to 11 pages and 258 individual posts when I read it. A good portion of the thread is devoted to an ongoing debate about whether this "experiment" was scientific and/or valid. It was neither. The next biggest group of replies debated which side of the previous debate was being rude in their replies. I would say there were some rude people who happened to be on both sides of the argument. Then there was a bunch of people posting nothing, just tagging along so they could get the email notifications. I hate to say it, but the vast majority of the replies were useless as far as determining whether or not ginger was effective at all.
I will attempt to sum up the essence of the thread to save you the time in reading it. Cratylus saw some Ich in his tank. He added ginger to his homemade frozen fish food. The Ich went away. There is no telling whether or not the ginger cured the infection or if natural immunity did. Then, Cratylus specifically purchased a Purple Tang that had a heavy infestation. He brought that fish home, placed it in a separate quarantine tank, fed it the same food, and the Ich went away again. Some people pointed to this experience as being proof. The problem is, moving a fish from an infected tank to a clean tank is a proven cure. It is one of the variations on the daily water change method that I mentioned in my first article on Cryptocaryon irritans (Colorni, 1987). In that paper, Colorni describes moving an infected fish between two tanks. The tanks are cleaned and dried between uses, thereby ridding them of tomonts. He instructs to do this every three days for ten days. This is very similar to what happened with the Purple Tang. There should have been two more moves, but Cratylus got lucky with just the one.
I want to say explicitly that I do not fault Cratylus for attempting something new. There would be no new discoveries without someone trying to push the envelope. I only wish to put his experience in light with what is already known about the biology of Cryptocaryon irritans and known methods or treatments.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

After a few days the fish WILL BE CURED.

Is it a cure. Did the pepper or mustard or ketch up or what not you added into the tank do the trick?

NO

go and check the life cycle of whitespot.
It is NOT a miracle.

The whitespot is on the fish 3 to 7 days. Then they all fall off and becomes cysts.
Your fish might be cured. But your system is now infected.

10944d5110a7027e1.jpg

If you look at this diagram, you will find so many answers.

Last edited:
Hi Riaan, sal n uv sterilizer werk?
not in a normal setup where the UV runs on the sump

A proper QT tank where UV pulls directly from the holding tank it might. But any WS that reaches the bottom of the tank, encyst and glue themselves to the substrate will not be killed by the UV.
Then when they hatch, again, only the WS that goes through the unit will be killed.

not in a normal setup where the UV runs on the sump

A proper QT tank where UV pulls directly from the holding tank it might. But any WS that reaches the bottom of the tank, encyst and glue themselves to the substrate will not be killed by the UV.
Then when they hatch, again, only the WS that goes through the unit will be killed.

Watet through a uv must not be recirculated. If it's in the sump, that's Ok, as long as it goes in one side then out the other close to the return. It will only kill free living stages of any parasite and is very dependant on wall thickness of the unit, flow per hour in relation to the wattage of the unit. Where 35 litres per watt is the sweet number and no more than 10mm for the unit wall thickness. Even if they encyst in the tank or sump, makes no difference. They are encysted. 55 watt globes are the best for dissenfection. Free living stages are not killed, but rather genetically modified/altered.

UV will kill what goes through the unit. Once the whitespot encys,. they glue themselves to the substrate, rock or whatever place they find comfortable. Even on barebottom tanks the bottom glass. That is why you need to scrape it clean in quarantine tanks. But any small slit in the silicone they climb in and you miss them. Remember the maximum sizes they fall off the fish is a quarter of a millimetre. So they can really crawl around until they find the smallest little hole to go into.

If the WS hit the substrate before being washed over the overflow? How will the UV kill them. Or affect them? They have to pass through the unit, all of them, to be totally relient on an UV.

My personal experience. I had 2 tanks connected to a common sump. One tank got infected, all the fish in that tank. None of the fish in the other tank where affected. Was just after I added an Angel that I did not quarantine for long enough. We keep on forgetting that WS can take up to 4 weeks to hatch. Anyway, he looked healthy when I moved him from Quarantine to the one display. Couple of weeks later, all the fish in that tank had a noticeable severe outbreak. So the few parasites that was on the fish and went pass unnoticed. Maybe on its gills. Encysted and hatched in the one tank only. Did not go over the overflow to the common sump, up to the other tank. I were not running UV or ozone.

My point here is that unless in a holding system, you pull water from the same container that the fish are in, most likely you will not even pull in any WS parasites.

The parasite when it leaves the fish do not go swimming around for a few hours. They drop to any hard surface in a relatively short timespan. This is the shortest period in their live cycle. Once they hatch, they hatch in such great numbers, That even if only 1% survive the UV, copper, chemicals, ozone or what else we do, there will still be more than the previous live cycle numbers. Anything from 200 to 1000 can hatch from one parent. If we succeed in killing 99%, you still have between 20 and 100 parasites more than the previous round. Talking about an population explosion.

So even with an success rate of 99%, you still failed miserably.

That's what I said Riaan.
UV does not kill the free living stage, It genetically modifies them. We all know how ws works, how it encysts. I am specifically talking about uv here.
Anyway, I'm not getting into a debate with you.

Last edited:
I agree that UV works.
But it needs to be setup correctly.
Right flow, slow enough so that parasites get exposed long enough to be radiated. Fast enough to do as much as possible of the water. Right size for the volume it needs to process.

My problem with UV related to my own experience, is that whitespot did not enter the sump area so spread to the other tank. Maybe I was just very very lucky. But I never have such good luck.

The idea that "whitespot does not enter the sump" is illogical.
Free living stages are most active at night, they are poor swimmers. With good watet flow through your display these will definitely enter the sump.
I am using UV at this moment in time. Not only have I found a decrease in reinfection but also a general increased health of my fish. UV also, albeit a poor one, increase the redox potential of the water.

Last edited:
Free living stages are most active at night, they are poor swimmers. With good watet flow through your display these will definitely enter the sump.
logically, that is what should happen and I do fully agree. Also explains why a bank of tanks at the LFS, all the tanks connected are affected. So I might have been very lucky. But this is directly related to the return pump rating. Too small , low turnover rate, and the WS simply would not be washed down to the sump in great enough numbers.

i can only tell you from my experience with ich. i lost fish through copper treatment (cuprmanine). i tried the garlic/ginger (not just ginger :)) mix and it worked for me. i pulped fresh garlic and ginger and soaked food pellets in that. my fish have never looked better and have not had any sign of the disease in months. i will add however that i believe that perfect water params and a strong immune booster food (like this mix) probably made the difference. Ich may still be in the tank but they can't get near my fish due to their strong health and immune system. worked for me and i fully believe in it.

Back
Top Bottom