Using bulbs for tank?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have three anemones in my marine tank and I read that they need around 200 watts of light to remain happy.
I was just wondering if it's alright to use a high intensity yellow light bulb such as philips comptalux r95 which gives 150 watts. the photo of the bulb is here:

http://www.v3-web.com/images/images.jpeg

images.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mohit - a VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board! Please start a new thread in our "New Members" forum and tell us about yourself and your tank/life stock!

The short answer: YES. It should definitely work. How many of these globes were you planning to use?

The bit longer answer: your tank will look very ugly, as these lights usually make the water look P-yellow.... You can off-set that by adding a lot of BLUE light.... this will make the water look much more crisp white..... HOW MUCH blue light you need, is up to you - you will have to experiment with this this......

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Hi Mohit - a VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board! Please start a new thread in our "New Members" forum and tell us about yourself and your tank/life stock!

The short answer: YES. It should definitely work. How many of these globes were you planning to use?

The bit longer answer: your tank will look very ugly, as these lights usually make the water look P-yellow.... You can off-set that by adding a lot of BLUE light.... this will make the water look much more crisp white..... HOW MUCH blue light you need, is up to you - you will have to experiment with this this......

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am planning to use just one of these for now, I have a 100 gallon tank.
Also, I am planning to keep the tank open from the top and put the bulb on one of the walls besides the aquarium glass, so that it does not make the water too hot. Yes, I will use some blue light to counter the ugly look. I have attached the actual setup!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mohit - no - I would not do that..... the anemone's require a LOT of DIRECT lighting. If you place the lighting on the side, the glass and water would filter out a lot of the beneficial lighting that the anemone's require.

Also - using only one on a 100 gallon tank - the basic rule of thumb is at least 100 watts per square metre..... In your case, it would not be close to enought....

BUT - it's your tank and anemone's...

Please also remember to feed the anemone's small (+-1cm) pieces of meaty foods.... ie. lance fish, or even pink shrimp or mussel meat.... This should be done AT LEAST once a week....

k then, I will put a lid on the tank and think of some alternate lighting. Thanks for the advice.

What type of anemones are these exactly? Most of the local ones that you get in KZN do not require light at all, and only relies on feeding to grow. However, if you have a bubble tip or any other photosynthetic anemone, a 150w Metal Halide or two can work nicely in that tank...

Hotdog - I have NOT come across any anemone (except aptaisia) that can survive without light..... Yes - feeding would do it for them.... but not supply 100% what they require......

Ok, kewl, just remember seeing quite a few local species hiding deep under rocks in pools in KZN, and I assumed they don't require light, as they were in shade most, if not all, of the day... Also saw one catch a fish about the same size as himself...

I have found the local orange anemones require very little light. My Next door neighbor has a +/- 5cm one in his 70cm deep FOWLR tank with 1x blue/white 39w each bulbs. With direct feeding it "seems" to have been doing fine up till now (8 months). Could be a fluke, could just be plain luck.

I have found the local orange anemones require very little light. My Next door neighbor has a +/- 5cm one in his 70cm deep FOWLR tank with 1x blue/white 39w each bulbs. With direct feeding it "seems" to have been doing fine up till now (8 months). Could be a fluke, could just be plain luck.
well, I'd have to agree with jacquesb here, because I have already lost a few anemones before. Earlier I just had n open tank and not even a bulb there. Atleast, this time I got this bulb fitted as you can see in the photo, and the anemones are kind of doing ok for the past month or so. I feed them almost daily.

Yea np, my friend must have just gotten lucky as i said. I would never house an anemone in inadequate lighting nor urge anyone else to either.

You need to be careful, or there could be some warfare in your tank. Nemmies don't particular get on with anything other than food :whistling:

Yes, they are carpet anemones, two are small like 4 inches, and one is around 8 inches.
If they are indeed carpet anemones then you need some serious lighting over your tank in order for them to survive, they are photosynthetic creatures, meaning they live off light, that little bulb you have got on the wall is no good I'm afraid. You need to get some Metal Halide lighting on your tank, either suspended from the ceiling or in a hood, they must be mounted about 20cm's above the water surface.

Back
Top Bottom