Using Aiptasia X in your tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VicZA, 14 Jan 2015.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Is it a good idea to use Aiptaisia-X in your tank if you have Nennies, Torch Coral, Elegance Coral, etc. Reason I ask is that the way I see it the aiptasia is really very similar to an anemone ... or is it not ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would rather move the rock out into a bucket. Give it 5 to 10 minutes so that the aiptasia re-emerge.

then with no extra water movement in the bucket, it should be easy to give it a full load of Aiptasia-X on its oral disk.

Remember to redo this before new aiptasia reach 43 days. That's minimum time it takes to be matured.

4. archiecrain

archiecrain

As long as you only get it on the Aptasia then I see no problem at all. I use the stuff often to kill palys and havnt seen any adverse reaction from my anemone or any other coral....

Just dont spill it on any of your pized corals as it will damage them....

5. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

so is this stuff injected onto the aiptasia or dosed into the tank? I can't remove the rock. At the moment I just use 1ml of vinegar in a syringe and individually zap them. It works but is a slow process. I also had a VERY good Aiptasia eating Filefish but once he started nipping at my torch I sold him onto a friend ... maybe I need to "rent" him back for a while

6. 4age

4age

How well does it work for palys. Will it work on green button polyps?

7. ascheff

ascheff

You target it into the mouth of the Aiptasia.

Some of it will get into the water column, so best is to switch off all pumps for a while. I find the excess will then mostly fall to the bottom. I'll be hesitant if the Aiptasia is in between corals, so far mine were isolated.

Here's a video that shows the effect.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  8. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

@4age yep it can kill palys.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

this video does not show the correct way of zapping the aiptasia as you are suppose to cover the whole oral disc as the aiptasia releases spores when its threatened thats why if you do it incorrectly you'll have 10+ more show up in a matter of days-weeks..

i have squirted this stuff on zoas in the moth on the stalk all you do is to blow the aiptasia x off of the zoa and itll be as good as it was before getting a mouth full of this stuff

@RiaanP is correct best to nuke these thing as soon as you notice then or you'll end up finding hundreds in you tank then you have to get an animal to do the job and once hes done his job he might not survive or you can trade him

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    RiaanP likes this.
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Seriously, in that video, switch off the flow pumps before using Aiptasia-X

First, its not cheap stuff. Why blow it all over the tank going to waste. Rather let it be concentrated on the COMPLETE oral disk. For as long as possible.

Secondly, with clumps blowing all over, you need to check that nothing ended up in a zoa disk, or wherever else.

switch off the pumps, and leave them off for at least 10 minutes, longer even.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and yes, you can kill button polyps with Aiptasia-X.
    Or if you can control your button polyps.

12. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can, much easier.
    But sometimes, when the aiptasia foot is within a deep hole, its not possible to use vinegar successfully. Then Aiptasia-x is a better option.

With vinegar, doing it right is the problem. Must inject it v e r y s l o w l y
    Take your time. Up to a minute easily per aiptasia head. If you can get to the foot, do the foot, inject very little all around the foot.

Vinegar works by eventually dissolving the pests. Doing it too fast and its not gone. Make sure it falls off the rock, complete foot. Then even treat the spot it used to sit a bit more.

14. ascheff

ascheff

That video should definitely not be viewed as a how to video, I was rather pointing to the imploding effect it has on the Aiptasia.

I wouldn't want any of the stuff on any of my corals, so I switch off all pumps, even the return. I also cover the Aiptasia completely. If you get them when they're small, it doesn't take much. With no flow, the excess Aiptasia-X will fall to the substrate, as it's heavier than water.

I imagine with vinegar you'll need a very steady hand, which I don't have.

15. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

I used vinegar on a few ... lets see what happens. When I injected it I noticed some "bubbles" emerging from that area for a while ... what would that be ? I injected it straight down the mouth of the aiptasia using a hypodermic needle

16. Bendor

Bendor

I use it all the time. Pumps of, slow drops to cover the whole disk, the aptasia will almost swallow it as it retracts. But then a week later when you have a look their is always another one. Keen to try lemon juice on the ones that are exposed enough but I'm worried they "blerts" their alien eggs all over the place as they implode.

To the guys who have tried it, what happens when you inject vinegar or lemon juice into the foot or body?

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you do it slowly.
    Due to vinegar being a far lower PH, it dissolves the Aiptasia. Burns it away. So you must give it time to react.

And best option, if you are afraid of it spawning while being attacked by you. After water change, put some old water in a tub. Put the rock there. Let it stand 5 minutes so aiptasia comes out again. Attack them. Rinse the rock.
    Rinse in another tub also with old tank water.

Fraser W likes this.
  18. Bendor

Bendor

Thanks Riaan. I'll have to try it in the tank as my rocks are not mobile.

Recent Posts