Using a new tank cycle to cook rocks

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Dane, 28 Jun 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey all,

I have recently been the extremely fortunate beneficiary of Johan v.A's generosity - in the form of receiving his old nano - a resun DMS400!! THANK YOU JOHAN!!! So chuffed! A lovely little unit! My mantis will be moving from his little 20L cottage to this pimped out crib! ;-)

So a while ago I got some nice live rock for very cheap, but its seething with bryopsis... :-( So i was wondering if this was not the perfect opportunity to cook the bryopsis-infested rock.

If I set up the new tank all nicely, but completely blacked out and run the cycle with the bryopsis rocks in the blacked out tank this should take care of things no? I know the coraline will die too.. But quite frankly a small price to pay IMO... It can always get seeded with new coraline when its done cycling.

Any comments?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes Dane. You can indeed do this. BUT, you will NEED to do a 100% water change once the life rock has been "cured" (cooked).....

Also - you do NOT need to have any lighting nor heating on this tank. Just have the water moving..... leave the rocks in MOSTLY dark areas for at least 6 to 8 weeks...

4. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

honestly i did alot of research on briopsis and depriving it of light alone wont help the guys say you should just raise your MG levels so that it dies from the roots out.

will pm you

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Freeze Them Off

There is the simple method of removing affected rocks from the tank and placing them in the freezer for forty-eight hours or more. This is an understandable nuisance and may not even be possible if aqua-structure or coral life will not allow. The process will burst the cellular structure of the alga, thereby killing it. At this point, it would be advisable to brush off/manually remove any remaining visible pieces before returning the piece to the display.

6. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

thanks all,

mike I'm not so keen to kill all the critters in my lR - i'm very attached to the little bristlestars etc - so would rather do the lights out thang... Don't realy dose so worried about the whole MG thing.... Surely if it had no light for three weeks it would be K.O!! Its still a freaking plant!

7. maj

maj

it aint a normal plant,its the godzilla of plants!

8. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Dane, For what it's worth, the MG method really does work quite effectively. I have done it before to get rid of Bryopsis. Worked like a charm. And in a nano, it's very easy to do.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2010
  9. zayd

zayd

How high must the magnesium be and can you do it in your display tank? Impact on livestock?

10. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

I can't remember how high (it's been a while). But I had no ill effect. I kept softies, some SPS, inverts and a fish or three through the whole process without them being adversely affected.

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Dane likes this.
  12. zayd

zayd

13. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Hmmm, cool info all thank you. Now where do I get magnesium? Powdered? Chemist? And what about test kits.... :-S

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

any pharmaceutical company & test kits at LFS

15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Dane - you can use magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) and magnesium carbonate.

16. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Im a more curious than cautious reefkeeper and my magnesium levels are through the roof, doesnt even register with red sea Mg test kit, nothing bad has happened so far and no one can tell me of any disaster that could happen with elevated Mg levels and i have asked on this site alot, i dont even know why i own a test kit anymore :(

17. martin

martin Reef Adict

Check the readings as Red Sea test kits suck IMO and you probably will find your MG is not too far out.

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Magnesium needs to be raised up to 1650. No impact on Livestock as long as it is maintained at this level.

You need to maintain a level of 1650 for about 3 to 4 months, all the while removing the Bryopsis as it grows, eventually it will start changing colour and die off completely.

Recent Posts