Ushaka Sea water VS Synthetic mix

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Poop, 12 Dec 2009.

1. Poop

Poop

Hello there - I'm in the Highway area of KZN and new to marine keeping. I have just set up my new Red Sea Max 250 which I am very excited about. I am now ready to fill it with water. First question I need to ask, is should I use Ushaka sea water or synthetic mix? Which is recommended?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Natural Sea water IMO is the way to go Poop, since it is easy to come by. All of my systems (including the system running today) ran on NSW with success.

4. maj

maj

i also use nsw in my setup,but many ppl argue against this as its polluted water and not enough vital minerals in ther etc etc.But many ppl keep healthy marine tanks with it.

as fo rthe salt mix,many says its got the perfect mix of minerals in ther and is perfect for keeping marine fish!

its ur choice,let your pocket decide!

5. dv8

dv8

i don't know much about ushaka but here in P E we have "Bay world" oceanarium and there water seems to make my P H a bit asidic, this can be fixed with kalk, if you where to go that rought. i agree with the other guy's and think water from the sea is better. i think its more natural and you have the benafit of the plancton and other goodies that would come with.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Poop, glad you joined. Can you show us a pic of your tank and fitration?
    Please read through the link in my signature for some great info on how to start your first marine tank. After putting the live rock, substrate and water in, please allow for the cycle to be completed before adding any live stock to the tank.
    You'll know the cycle is complete only after ammonia, nitrites and nitrates test zero. You obviously have to buy test kits for this.
    It will take a couple of weeks, so don't think it will be cycled if the ammonia test 0 after a few days :)
    Ammonia will go up and then down, nitrites will up and down and also nitrates, after that you can stock slowly - one or two fish every 2 weeks ;)

7. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Poop,

I met you the other day at the pet shop, spoke about your Max250.

Glad to hear you have it set up! I have only used NSW and never have had a problem, If I recall you get a bucket of salt with the tank, perhaps keep it aside should you need some water in an emergency, could just mix it up quickly.

8. Sammy

Sammy

Dude, my experience comes from using NSW and always getting a mini cycle, then a again i'm in cold water cape town? I was ok otherwise but i always used from a filtered source, when that stop my tank turned into an algae disaster ??? At least with synthentic and RO "YOU" know whats going into your tank

9. durleo

durleo

You dont have to collect from uShaka - Jus find a beach without much bathers and away from storm drains. Also try not to collect after heavy rains cos there is alot of runoff from rivers and stuff. I collect from Umhloti near the tidal pool.

10. irshaad

irshaad

Cpt NSW caused constant algae headaches for me, which dissappeared quickly after using synthetic. Apparently, cold water organisms were getting killed off when heating the water to required 26deg, which constantly fuelled to my problem.

11. shendrie

shendrie

max 250

Hi there, I am also from the highway area (Gillitts) and am also looking at the max 250, Now you have set it up --are you happy with the tank ??
    cheers

12. Poop

Poop Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice. I settled on natural sea water which has only been in my tank 24 hours and today I stocked my tank with 20kgs of live rock. Will see what happens from here.

13. smartegoutte

smartegoutte

Poop i also get my NSW from Umdloti and the tank always looks and seems healthier when i use it compared to the synthetic water. The synthetic is more of an expensive convenience as i also live in Hillcrest.

Recent Posts