Used tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Antolo, 12 Aug 2009.

1. Antolo

Antolo

I have just bought a 760l tank that has been standing empty for about 3 years in a garage and under cover. Do I need to trip it down and rebuid it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

it depends how well the job was done in the beggining. Silicon should be alright after three years, how old was it before? look for bits of silicon lifting up on the edges. this will give you an idea, if it is lifting up you will need to redo it

4. Antolo

Antolo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Im sure at all how long this person had it before. Im going to pick it up this afternoon. If all looks good should I maybe just fill it with water and leave it for a few days and see wat happens. Wat about the sump tanks do I also need to rebuid those?

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

well same rule applies. but also if there are a lot of unnecesary chambers in the sump you might want to redo it to remove any excess stuff. it may also be good practice to redo it all anyway if it seems like you will have these tanks set up for a few years. but again just inspect it and if you're unsure just redo it. will only take a portion of an afternoon and it'll be ready again. Lighty and i stripped my 4ft sump and put it back together within 3 or so hours

6. Antolo

Antolo Thread Starter

is there a special technique to taking it apart and putting it back together. Wat tools and things would i need?

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

just a good blade, like a craft knife and some silicon. if you arent sure maybe get someone to help you who knows what they are doing cause there is a potential for things to go horribly pair shaped. You need to buy marine silicon, 2 or 3 tubes for good measure, how big are these tanks?

8. Antolo

Antolo Thread Starter

Ive never done it before but im a plumber so i know how to work with silicone (if that helps ha ha) The tank it 5f by 700 deep not sure of the width and havnt seen the sump and other tanks. I am going to pick everything up this afternoon. I think rather be safe than sorry im going to redo all the tanks. Must i use some sort of cleaning agent to take the old silcone off? or must i just scrape it off?

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

scrape as much off as possible. use acetone to remove the remaining little bits. it needs to be really clean to ensure that the silicon attaches properly
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recent Posts