Used plastic drum for additional filter

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've got hold of an old plastic drum (+- 800l).
I want to use this drum as an additional filter, and to make my water volume bigger.
The problem is - i've got no idea what was kept in the drum previously.
If one can clean this extremely good - will it help, or must i rather stay away from it?
My guts tell me not to use it, but on the other hand - +- 800l more water volume, and additional filter......:biggrin:

it looks like it might have contained something oily.

Clean it and then put RO water in it (know the TDS rating). If the TDS rating spikes from the original reading then not good

I would rather steer clear:unsure:

Unless you can be sure that it has held no contaminants and that it is made from food safe materials, don't use it.

Unless you can be sure that it has held no contaminants and that it is made from food safe materials, don't use it.
How do i know it's made from food safe materials?
I've got it from someone, that knows someone, that know some one else, who is working in yscor.....
So then i would rather not use it....:(
There goes my extra water volume and filter....:( :(

In the UK food safe containers are marked with a fork and glass stamp, if you look on the internet i'm sure you will find a very cheap supplier somewhere, or ask at a large restaurant if they have any containers they no longer need. (which is where i got my 220lt R/O container.)

In the UK food safe containers are marked with a fork and glass stamp, if you look on the internet i'm sure you will find a very cheap supplier somewhere, or ask at a large restaurant if they have any containers they no longer need. (which is where i got my 220lt R/O container.)

Cool - i'll try this...
Do anyone know of a restaurant that i can try?
Or any other local supplier which is cheap cheap?

Try some of those Packaging places, I know of two here in Kimberley that supply to restaurants where you can get some food-safe containers cheap!

i have purchased 200L drums from plastic world and the RO testing showed the plastic had something in it. Once resining several times, I got the TDS reading to zero.

Been using it since.

PS: these containers cost me R250.00. so maybe just get a new drum.

i have purchased 200L drums from plastic world and the RO testing showed the plastic had something in it. Once resining several times, I got the TDS reading to zero.

Been using it since.

PS: these containers cost me R250.00. so maybe just get a new drum.

For how long did you kept the water in the drum before you've done the TDS reading?

I think i'll go for a new drum then.
So now i sit with a 800 lt drum with no use... damn

Yeah dude.If i were you,i would just chuck it.Rather be safe than sorry.Dont want to loose all the goodies in your tank ;)

For how long did you kept the water in the drum before you've done the TDS reading?

I think i'll go for a new drum then.
So now i sit with a 800 lt drum with no use... damn

Resined it once with RO then took a reading straight away. After the second resin the the RO was acceptable.

I would suggest doing reading straight away, so that everything that is in the water is in suspension and you will get a more accurate reading

Hey guys - just to play "devil's advocate" here....
What is you wash with soap, rinse, rinse a second time, then wash out with an acid, ie, vinegar or perhaps swimming pool acid - won't this then be able to clean out the container well enough to use?

Hey guys - just to play "devil's advocate" here....
What is you wash with soap, rinse, rinse a second time, then wash out with an acid, ie, vinegar or perhaps swimming pool acid - won't this then be able to clean out the container well enough to use?

I would say yes, just remember the final couple of rinses needs to be RO

The problem with non food grade plastic is the stuff gets absorbed by the plastic. Similar to LR leaching PO4.

But leaches what ? If it was leaching any chemical you would pick it up on the TDS.

If the plastic isn't food grade, it WILL leach loads of chemical nasties into your R/O, there are no "ifs" here, why take a risk, your tank has cost you thousands of Rand, you put in loads you you time into it then kill it all with a cheap bit of plastic.

hey guys, i been looking for a big drum too for storing NSW to fill up my tank, so i find all this really interesting. What you guys are saying is that i need to get food safe container? Where could i get one(like not restaurants-shops please:) - would feel bad bugging restaurants) and quite cheap that i could store stuff for long periods of time?

Back
Top Bottom