Urgently need lights!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Juan&Chante', 12 Jun 2016.

1. Juan&Chante'

Juan&Chante'

Hi guys. im new here, but have been in the hobby a while now.. I have just had a throw back on my current tank. my lights gave in. used ATI for some time. but im hearing great things ppl are achieving with leds. im interested in getting a second hand unit for the tank im building now. but I see they are pretty pricey. if anyone is willing to sell me an old unit I can pay off. I will be greatfull. Im int the vereeniging vanderbijlpark area.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vleis Visagie

Vleis Visagie

4. Brendan6

Brendan6

You should list the tanks dimensions so we do not offer lights that wont work

5. RossK

RossK

Tank size/ depth?
    I can help you build a LED light unit as soon as I'm back in SA (next week).
    You can also buy parts locally (Rabtron Vereeniging) or on BidorBuy (LED Select & Improved Living).

6. Juan&Chante'

Juan&Chante' Thread Starter

hi guys. thanx so much for the response. the tank im wantimg to get lights for is meters by 800 deep. width 700. iv been at Rabtron a couple of times but dont or import the tipe of lights we use on the tanks. and even if I could customise the ones the offer. I will be paying an arm and a leg for them.

7. Juan&Chante'

hahaha sorry I mean to say 2meters

8. RossK

RossK

I got Cree and Luxeon LEDs from Rabtron. They also ordered Meanwell drivers for me.
    If you are looking for high Kelvin white or specific wavelenght blue LED's, then look at the guys on Steve's LEDs.

@CW can also put together something for you, I think he has just received some LED's from the US.
    @Francois is "my library" for all things LED related.

You can contact these guys as well, they are very helpful.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2016
  9. Juan&Chante'

Thank you so much. I sent CW a pm. I will first try him. I appreciate all your help. if I dont come right I will let you guys know. :thumbup:

10. aslam

aslam

What corals do you intend to keep?

11. CW

CW

I just sent you a pm.
    Remember that leds only go 700mm deep with no lense to focus the light if i remember correctly now. @Francois will be able to give more info there.

12. Juan&Chante'

for the start of the new tank im olny going to keep the corals I already have. I first want to see everything stabilising again.. cw helped me with some lights for now.. just to keep my animals alive. and healthy but I want to use these leds with a controller. day/night fully automatic so that I dont have to struggle every day with a billion buttons. Thanx so much to CW. and thank you all for the advice. if someone has an old controller that still works laying around.. please pm me. id like to have a look.

13. RossK

RossK

Cool that you are sorted out. Do you know if the LED drivers you currently have are capable of dimming?
    If not, you might be better off just using timers (like the ones from Mica) to control the power supplies to the LEDs. To have full control, you will need the controller + dimming capable drivers & a suitable power supply.
    I have just gone through the exercise of modifying an existing LED unit to work with the Reef Angel controller. I'm back home this weekend (hopefully). PM me, I can help you with the mods.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2016
  14. Ernie

Ernie

For intrest, how much is that Reef angel controller?

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  15. Juan&Chante'

thank you. that will be awsome.. but I dont know if the drivers I have are capable of dimming and I dont as yet have any controller

16. RossK

RossK

My daughter got a good deal on hers secondhand from a fellow reefer right here on MASA. They do come up for sale from time to time. If you want to buy new, the local agents are Majestic Pets (speak to Chris).

No worries, as long as you have lights for now. If it's ok with you, I will come around and look at what you have as soon as I'm back in country. We can work on something to get you the dimming function.
    PM coming your way with my details.

Recent Posts