Urgent question

Reaction score
Just bought a regal tang an half an hour ago. Dripping at the moment. My question is: the fish-only tanks at the LFS are treated with copper, would the LFS be stupid enough to use that water in the bag?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes he would so don't let the water from the bag into the tank - just in case.

It's always a good idea to ask if the tank water is treated with copper, many lfs do it.

Reaction score
Thanks Wee-Man, I have been guilty of that before. Out of interest how much copper water would create a problem in a 200L tank?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
copper levels should be between 0.2 and 0.3ppm - you need to test daily to ensure it stays in that (very narrow) range.

Reaction score
Thanks Wee-Man, I have been guilty of that before. Out of interest how much copper water would create a problem in a 200L tank?
copper levels should be between 0.2 and 0.3ppm - you need to test daily to ensure it stays in that (very narrow) range.
Hey, just to prevent a possible misunderstanding - are we talking about copper levels in a Q-tank to treat a fish, or about copper levels acceptable for a reef tank with corals and other sensitive inverts?

If the latter, the 0.2 - 0.3ppm is WAY to high - natural sea water contains 0.00025ppm copper (0.25 parts per BILLION), and our artificial salt mixes contain something between 0.01 and 0.1ppm when freshly mixed (and the 0.1ppm is way too high for comfort...)

Hennie

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, just to prevent a possible misunderstanding - are we talking about copper levels in a Q-tank to treat a fish, or about copper levels acceptable for a reef tank with corals and other sensitive inverts?

If the latter, the 0.2 - 0.3ppm is WAY to high - natural sea water contains 0.00025ppm copper (0.25 parts per BILLION), and our artificial salt mixes contain something between 0.01 and 0.1ppm when freshly mixed (and the 0.1ppm is way too high for comfort...)

Hennie
thanks Hennie, i was talking about QT tank levels, not reefsafe levels.