urgent help please..

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Fuzzy, 13 May 2012.

1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Hi guys...I aint too clued up on these things,and after blowing things and cutting out the house power in the past I'm definately aint gonna try my own thing here LOL,ok so I need to replace my electronic ballast on my T5 unit,it is a dual ballast,problem is my old ballast has 7 points and the new one only has 6...so yeah I aint sure how to do this without blowing up neighborhood...if anybody can help me it will be greatly appreciated,here's a pic of the diagrams on the ballast,as well as two connectors,the other two connaectors are straight forward but in the pic u will see that the red and black wire are connected differently,on the old ballast the black wire is number 3 and the red is number 4...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Wire 4 does not come back to the Ballast. In the picture of the connectors, it looks to be the red wire.

6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Thread Starter

Thanks @Tremayn and @belindamotion .. @RiaanP yeah but in the second pic the red (number 4) is giving power so that connector on the right can power connector on the left (I could be wrong) on old 7 pin ballast,3 is black and 4 is red..the rest are yellow.....old ballast,number 4 is giving power to outer back side of tubes,with new ballast looks like back side just gets it from ..uh...nowhere lol

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Thread Starter

Pic of the original wiring.....unless,maybe,there is no place for number 4(red) and the wiring on the connectors I posted earlier has to be changed to suit the new ballast

[​IMG]

8. crispin

crispin

4 is a shared port from both bulbs.

get two different coloured plastic tapes (lets called them white and blue tape)

Mark 1,2,6,7 in blue tape and those wires all connect to the right side of the bulb.

mark 3,4,4,5 in white tape and those are the connections to the left side of the bulb.

9. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Thread Starter

Hi @crispin ok what I did now is move one by one(the ones that match) over to the new ballast..so moved 1,2,5,6 and 7...number 3 should be moved as well according to old ballast diagram but there's only one spot open for a wire on new ballast so what happens to number 4(red) if red doesn't go on then two points of two globes don't have power from what I see here

[​IMG]

10. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Thread Starter

The red wire has to be connected,from the end cap things it goes halfway into the unit then out to the ballast,does not go to other side so yeah it needs power,the other side is very basic with two wires on each connector

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Thread Starter

Ok so I think the best thing to do is to change the wiring inside to suit the ballast,I have two of these units on my tank and probably would be better to do it now and know I can always just buy the standard 6pin ballasts in the future,thanks for the help,will keep u all updated as to what worked..:)

12. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Thread Starter

Light unit working again :) was so much easier to remove reflectors,and change the woring of the connectors to match the new ballast...the 6pin ballast is a lot more common so yeah its better that I did it this way now...thanks for the help all :)

Recent Posts