Urgent help needed

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 300 litre tank which is cloudy with algae i think cos its green and i can't see anything in there.

I am really worried bout whats going on in there, i only see the fish when the come close to the front of the glass.

I keep the lights on 24/7, is that the cause ??? this was never the case with my freshwater tank.

Please advise me on how i can get the water clear once again.

p.s i have posted the same thread on ultimate reef but need some local help.

around 30 -40 kgs live rock

the skimmer is external,can't really remember the name but it looks like a cyclinder with a cup on the top that i empty.

the system is not sumped but the internal filter is somewhat of a sump, with the cotton wool and bio balls form part of the filter.

Thank you kindly

Teez

How long has the tank been running for and what are you using for water top-up and water changes?

Oh and how big is the tank with what life stock?

How long has the tank been running for and what are you using for water top-up and water changes?

hi,

haven't changed any water yet, the tank has been up now for around 3+ months. I've been told that its the lighting and i think/know thats right.

is there anyway that i can get it clear ???

tank is using the standard filteration with an addition filter ...

also a protein skimmer,heater and thats bout it all run 24/7

hope this helps, please let me know if there is anything further i can add.

also i have been advised by the local pet store that i should cover the tank with a blanket for about a week to remove all the algae.

will this help ??? I'm really afraid that the fish will be affected.

the fish consist of :

Sailfin Tang,

Copper Band

2 X Clowns

Humbug

3 X wrasses

1 X hermit

4 X snails

1 X clean shrimp

1 X sea urchin

i think that bout it.

i have also built a huge reef with live rock

No way that is from lighting.

Sounds like some sort of precipitation, algae bloom or spawning event.

Get us some pics, will help in ID.

Is any thing disturbing the substrate, like unattached powerhead

No way that is from lighting.

Sounds like some sort of precipitation, algae bloom or spawning event.

Get us some pics, will help in ID.
teez187

above is the algae bloom, i have cut the lights completely,

teez187

and this is what it looked like a while ago

hope this helps,

please assist

DO a 10% water changes everyday for the next week.

You need to get into a weekly water change regime.

You need to check the tanks nitrates and phosphate parameters.

When doing water changes only use RO with salt, not tap water.

WArr it could very well be from the lights. if a tank has been running for 3 months with the lights on non stop... it will look like this...

Like i said cut the lights to 8 hours a day. get 2X25L drums with saltwater mixxed up (try VIPets or PeterBees). Do these water changes for 7 to 10 days.... should sort out the problem and also give you a great workout :p

WArr it could very well be from the lights. if a tank has been running for 3 months with the lights on non stop... it will look like this...

Wow, lights on for 3 months, Ok have to agree then that going give loads of energy to the algae.

Hi guys, Teez popped inot UR yesterday, it would seem he has had a rotten start to the hobby, he has also had some terrible advice from his lfs - tap water was one of them - so this poor fella needs our help, and for those of you in JHB, perhaps a bit of hands on help.
We discussed yesterday, if he turns his lighting period down to 7-8 hours from 24 the algae could crash and he could be worse off, so it was suggested he reduces slowly over a 3-4 week period from 24 hours down to 7-8.
He also needs a good lfs, the one he is using is clearly not so good.

Good r/o and salt or some nsw for a start to get the perams somewhere close to ok would be a good start.

Where about in Joburg are you. I suggest alot of reading up here, look at Brentnorms thread. Its a good start to finish on what to do from the beginning. The fact that you have so much livestock and an empty skimmer cup is really disturbing.

if the skimmer matches the tank capacity he the dy off from the algea should be managable with the water changes WM :p

A very warm welcome to MASA Teez1. Could you also please supply us with your water parameters?
ie.
- ammonia level?
- nitrite level?
- phosphate level?
- nitrate level?

Henk was correct in his suggestion, as was Warr...

The most common problems with algae, is too high phosphates and nitrates.

Do you have any ceramic noodles, or bio-balls in your tank's sump? If so - please slowly (over a period of a few days) remove all of this...
Secondly, do you run a DSB (Deep sand bed - ie, either in your sump, in the tank or both, have a sand bed where the sand particles are between 0.05mm and 1.5mm in size, and the sand bed itself is between 120mm and 150mm deep)....
This will / should be your primary filtration system, unless you have a HUGE HUGE HUGE skimmer.....

What type of skimmer do you have?

Where about in Joburg are you. I suggest alot of reading up here, look at Brentnorms thread. Its a good start to finish on what to do from the beginning. The fact that you have so much livestock and an empty skimmer cup is really disturbing.
i'm in Olivedale,

have been cleaning the skimmer cup every 2 days

I'm up the road from you, can come past tonight and do some tests etc.

Back
Top Bottom