urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by albert, 29 Jan 2014.

1. albert

albert

I need help. Otherwise I am going to quit saltwater fish. I have a tank with rear chambers, 4 of them. Now the tank is alwaysvfull of algae and it is difficult to keep clean. Please help with filtration options and easy waysvto add a sump

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

an explanation of ypu tank setup will help greatly.. answers to such questions like what water r you using what filtration do you have in your 4 rear chambers what livestock do you have in your tank.. have you checked your nitrate and phosphate levels in your water with those answers maybe somebody will be able to help you but just remember you are the only one going to lose.. with a post like that many people will not want to help you out

4. albert

albert Thread Starter

In my first chamber there is a protein skimmer. Second one is a sponge. Third is some carbon 4th is the return pump. I have a clown fish. A cleaner shrimp. Devils claw coral, a leather coral. Cloved polyps. And some zoas
    And hermit crabs. I use ro water for top up an premix saltwater from dorry pets for water change. It is a 100 litre cube
    . With quad t5 lights and 2 power headas. Please help

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Do you know what kind of algae it is? What colour? Is it cyano, hair algae, bryopsis etc.?

Do you use RO water or tap water for your top-ups?

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Answered as I asked. :p

How often do you clean the sponge?

Do you have live rock?

7. albert

albert Thread Starter

Yes I have live rock and it is green hair algae. The sponge I clean once a week. What other filtration options are available

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

can you post a picture of your back compartment and even the tank... if by filtration you mean nutrient export methods to reduce the algae i think you can go with the bio cubes as they don't requite a reactor which I'm not sure you will be able to fit in tour tank before we see some pictures... how often do you change your carbon

9. albert

albert Thread Starter

Will do in the morning

10. Irma

Irma

How long are the lights on for per day?

Why I am asking is because I had a major algae issue which was sorted out by reducing the time the lights were on for by half. I had them on for 13 hours which was miles too long. They are now on for only 5 hours a day and the algae is almost totally gone.
    I am not saying this is the total solution as there could be other problems but this helped me

Last edited: 30 Jan 2014
  11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

its more of a nutrient problem... can you test your water and post results
    NH4, NO3, PO4

short of that i would say the issue is from your water for WC and/or nutrients from the rock

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

with only one fish, its more likely an overfeeding issue. It is difficult to judge just how much food to give if you only have a few fishes.

When last did you look at your PO4 readings?
    Do you siphon the substrate while doing water changes?
    Rating of return pump? Does it suck in enough water via the sump to prevent settlement in the display?

13. fit

fit

Your algea growth is acting like a chemical filter and keeping your water safe for your inverts. It is removimg nitrates and phosphates for you.

It is pronabable that as mentioned, you may be feeding too much. How much do you feed?

Think about feeding less. That will make a big difference.

Think about replacing the sponge with cheatomorpha or some other kind of macro algea. This is called a refugium amd it is a very good filter. It strips the water of nutrients so algeas havea hard time growing in thr display pat of thr tank. You could also impliment an "algea turf scrubber" in a back compartment. This is an optimised refugium type filter that tries to grow a lot of algea very fast. You would need a light to grow these algeas.

You will probably need to be very patient. Months may be necessary. But perhaps things wull clear up much quicker. I reccomend you stick with it.

Make sure all your pumps remain clean of algea in the mean time. You need very good circulation.

Recent Posts